Hello All

isk8ufsusd

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to learning signing and have a quick question but first a little back story.

My daughter was born with Down Syndrome and we met with a local support group who was kind enough to give us the first volume in signing time. My 2.5 year old son loves it and my wife and I are enjoying it as well. We have gotten a few of the other volumes so that we can learn more. It was included as my daughter will most likely have a speech delay but will more than likely pick up on signing to communicate sooner. This seems like a fantastic idea and I feel it will open up a world to us that was previously not there.

So my question is how do we go about teaching my son a shorthand sign for his name instead of spelling it out to him all the time? I did some research and I know a sign name is generally given to you by someone in the community but are there exceptions to this or do we teach him that it is what we use within the house only?

Thanks,

Kyle.

Well often it will be using his initial along with some representation of his personality. Also do not confuse speech and language. you may find that your son is able to understand/express and internalize concepts and ideas (language) better with ASL(visual/spacial expression of language) than with speech (an auditory/oral expression of language). Very simplified explanation but I think it will give you the idea.

Back