Hello all, parent of a toddler

jfair

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a bunch of questions for you all, I hope you can help and thanks in advance. My wife and I have a 3 year old with sensorineural hearing loss, mild 80% hearing in her right ear and moderate 50% in her left ear. We have no idea how this occurred, she passed her newborn screening and another screening at 18 months due to a speech delay. She was diagnosed with hearing loss back in August and has worn her hearing aids since the beginning of September, she wears them routinely throughout the day. She has a phonak sky Q presently and attends a learning private school. Developmentally she is on par with 1st graders, minus her conversational speech. I am a teacher in San Antonio, Texas so I get a chance to interact and see kids from all across the spectrum. Here are my questions thank in advance

1. My biggest concern is that she routinely seems to ask "what" routinely for clarification, we have been to the audiologist four times now and she's had them corrected once now. We are suppose to head back in next week. Is there something I should be asking or is this common?i Should we keep on tweeking it until the problem disappears?

2. She complains that her ears are cold, has anyone else heard of this?

3. Her hearing seems to have gotten worse without her hearing aids in or am I just being to analytical as her mind is getting adjusted to hearing with the amplifier? Like glasses

4. How long of an adjustment period is there? Some days my wife and I think that she is really getting adjusted and then other days it seems as if there is very little consistency.

Thanks in advance

Lots of people with hearing loss have problems accessing speech even with hearing aids. Damaged nerves can have blank spots withSNHL. It's not like a conductive loss.

As for hearing worsening, it obviously already was since she passed the newborn screen.

And that's common. I have a lot of family on my husbands side with progressive SNHL

Lots of people with hearing loss have problems accessing speech even with hearing aids. Damaged nerves can have blank spots withSNHL. It's not like a conductive loss.

As for hearing worsening, it obviously already was since she passed the newborn screen.

Yes. It doesn't make hearing perfect. She's still HOH with aids.

jfair, Are you a teacher in the public schools? First of all, woohoo that she's doing well academicly so far. That will serve her well. I know San Antonio has public school dhh programming with SEE and other Sign. Not sure if they use ASL. It IS HOH friendly. Maybe a good idea might be to contact them and see if she could be evaluated and if they have any advice, reccomendations, ideas etc....http://www.smcisd.net/Departments.cfm?subpage=16264...There's also Sunshine Cottage School for Deaf Children, which is oral, but they will give you basicly the same advice.... they can also be biased and not tell you about this or that.
My best advice for raising a dhh kid. Look into every and anything.....Keep an open mind regarding interventions etc......There's many different pieces to the puzzle. HOH kids can benefit from knowing ASL as a second language, classroom instruction with other dhh kids, social exposure to other dhh kids and so on and so on..... There's a plethora of resources where you are.... There are many different pieces to the puzzle, and even HOH kids can strongly benefit from a lot of different tools in their toolbox........Good luck! Also contact http://www.txhandsandvoices.org/txhv/ http://www.tsd.state.tx.us/ and http://deafchildren.org/

Oh, and just to add.....again SO stoked she is doing very well in her current set up......But adding things may tweak it so that her educational experiance goes from fine to excellent, and she has access to all the tools possible. Like it doesn't sound like she'd need full time deaf ed, but maybe something like attending a program for the Deaf, once a week in lieu of teacher of the Deaf services would work out really well.

Do not force her to be what you want her to be. Accept her as she is whether she was born deaf or late deafened. You can not fix her just to make her hearing. Learn sign language like baby sign language for 3 years old. Watch Sign for kids on PBS station. Also you and your wife need to go to Deaf class (must have Deaf teacher) to learn about Deaf Culture, alphabets and sign language. Do not let her sleep with her hearing aid on just like glasses. That is all I have to say.

Back