Hello! 16, Hearing from Jamaica

Tropicana

Reaction score
Hey! I’m Anastasia, 16, hearing from Jamaica! (Wah gwaan?) I love learning languages (Korean, Spanish, Mandarin, French) and just recently started learning ASL. I want to be able to communicate fluently in ASL (I rely on fingerspelling too much), and I would love to make new friends along the way, sharing cultures and stories and whatnot. Message me, I don’t bite :)

Hello and welcome aboard, Anastasia!

cooltext1879335321_zps0a259104.png

What sign Language do Deafies use in jamaica
welcome to all Deaf

What sign Language do Deafies use in jamaica
welcome to all Deaf

Thank you!

Well, here we use Jamaican Sign Language but I'm not advanced enough to differentiate between this and ASL. I would believe it incorporates some of our local patois.

I've found a video, tell me what you think

This video looks very much like ASL to me. It is possible a few signs might be localized or regional. I saw the word "dumb" or "stupid" was different. And hi! It's nice to meet you! Fluent in ASL for about 15 years.

This video looks very much like ASL to me. It is possible a few signs might be localized or regional. I saw the word "dumb" or "stupid" was different. And hi! It's nice to meet you! Fluent in ASL for about 15 years.

Wow! Goals!! Nice to meet you. That's really good to hear as I was afraid that ASL and JSL would be too different for me to actually communicate with anyone here.

If I may ask, how did you learn?

Wow! Goals!! Nice to meet you. That's really good to hear as I was afraid that ASL and JSL would be too different for me to actually communicate with anyone here.

If I may ask, how did you learn?

I started to pick up ASL in the beginning of high school then after I went to a summer deaf camp I transfer to the deaf school for the last two years of my high school. :);). I think being around in a signing environment helps you learn quickly. I was at the deaf school 24 hours for 5 days a week so I had to learn fast!

Back