Hearing w/ Deaf relatives

malissamarie

Reaction score
Hola. I'm Malissa, an undergraduate college student from Los Angeles.
Right now I go to an art university in San Francisco.
I speak Spanish and Japanese.

I have two cousins who are deaf. Growing up we got by with minimal signing, body language, tapping each others' shoulders, and writing on paper. We also used to use my older cousin as an interpreter. I remember what a butt head I used to think my younger cousin was because he'd always cream in my ear and thought it was hilarious. We're both older now (and a LITTLE more mature) and the last time I saw my cousins at a family event I realized without facebook, writing materials, or making obvious gestures we couldn't communicate past, "How are you?".

When I was younger I never made a huge effort to learn ASL. One of my cousins got very sick and that's when I realized I want to make more of an effort for them. Because they are always trying to make it easier on us to communicate.

I would love to make some friends who can help tutor me in ASL. Even better if you're local :)

I live in the Bay Area and tutor ASL occasionally. It's a side job. If you're interested, PM me. Or you could take ASL classes at your school. :)

Back