Hearing student in deaf schools / classes - Earplugs / Headphones?

shevett

Reaction score
I am a hearing adult currently taking classes at TLC in Framingham, MA. I hope to get more involved in other programs as my ASL gets more and more comfortable (I'm chickenshit about talking to deafies and being 'wrong', so I'm being overly cautious - yea yea, I've already been chastized about this :)

Here's my question.

What's the current feeling toward hearies wearing earplugs or earphones while in class or in social situations? I find the chatter of other folks around me very very distracting (nothing is worse than other studdents in the class who 'whisper' spoken english words when they don't know the sign. Grrrr.). I want to tune that out. But I've heard from 1-2 people that this would be considered really rude to deafies.

I have good silicone earplugs that would block probably 80% of external sound and allow me to focus on my signing skills, and I also have good 'in-ear' headphones for music. I've spent entire weekends with low-key music playing in my ears and signing with friends (though not deaf themselves), and found the 'seperation' of input really helpful and allowed me to focus.

If you're deaf, and you're signing with a student / hearie who is studying ASL - how would you take them having headphones on, or earplugs? What if they were listening to music? (not, like, dancing to it. Just you knew they had something playing in 'their' background) ?

Help?

Back