hearing mom with hoh daughter

melisa

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this site. I am a hearing mom with a hoh daughter. She is now 7 but born with hearing loss due to fluid build up. We did tubes at 3 when the doctors found the problem . She still has problems going next week for second set of tubes. Her loss is becoming profound . We are looking to learn ASL. Would like to find classes and deaf social groups in the Atlanta Ga area. My daughter wants to learn but feels like she is alone. She is in public school her friends hear and her family hears . I want her to se she is not alone any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Melisa,
Welcome to AllDeaf as well to your Daughter who you Loved as I can tell
And wants the BEST for her as she faced prognosis of going profound deaf.
Now is the TIME to introduce her to learn ASL and Deaf culture by considering
enroll her into Deaf School instead of public school where she might encounter
learning obstacles as Deaf School will better suited for her learning ASL.
There are also lots of informations and opportunities in Atlanta, GA.
Please do more research by google and you will find GOOD listings in Deaf Schools and
Deaf Community events & locations in Atlanta. Good luck and again, Welcome to
AllDeaf forum. You will be Glad you did. Cheers.

I'm sure there has to be a college or 2 in Atlanta and surrounding area that offers ASL class. Maybe they'll know of Deaf events.

welcome to AD, that's pretty tough but good luck with new tubes for your little girl!

Hi Melisa!
That's awesome that you want your daughter to learn ASL. One of the most important things for dhh kids is to be able to interact regularly with other kids like them. I remember when I was a little kid I thought I was the only HOH kid in the UNIVERSE!

You say you're in the Atlanta area...The best way for a kid to learn ASL is by immersian/academicly . Check out Atlanta Area School for the Deaf: http://www.aasdweb.com/pages/Atlanta_School_for_the_Deaf
Not sure if Georgia has regional dhh programs......
Summer is also coming up, so maybe she could attend a Deaf camp/summer school at Georgia School for the Deaf: Georgia School for the Deaf - Index They list a science Olympiad for the summer program... Gally also has a listing of Deaf camps.
Summer Camps for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children and Teens
Finally, join American Society for Deaf Children American Society for Deaf Children - Home

and just so you know, it's not that uncommon for a kid to transfer to a dhh school/program knowing little sign. You''ll prolly get the attitude "she's doing fine in the mainstream and doesn't need ASL."
You can argue that you want her in an enviroment that specializes in teaching dhh kids, and that you want her to learn to function fully both WITH and without her hearing aids/CIs........I do think some kids can do OK in the mainstream early on, with support.....but ANY parent of a dhh kid/teen really should check out their local deaf ed programs/schools......some of them really do offer some amazing programs.
Just wanted to say I think it's wonderful you came here!

Thank you to everyone for the welcome and information. I will be looking into the schools this week.

Thank you to everyone for the welcome and information. I will be looking into the schools this week.

YAY! See about regional dhh programs too..Those can be very good for kids who while they don't need intense Dhh intervention, they still would benefit from ASL and TODs and all that stuff.. Word of advice....some Deaf schools do suck or not look all that great on paper.....but it does seem like there's usually a significant subpopulation of kids who are academic.
(meaning college bound/competitive employment) And of course she could learn ASL at Deaf camp too!!!
My best advice for parents of dhh kids....be openminded as to academic placement. Acknowledge that your childs needs may and will change over time....

Back