Hearing from Florida

4llydon

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Ally. I'm a home schooled ASL student. I'm probably majoring in interpreting but not because I want to be an interpreter. I was always raised to appreciate deaf culture. I mean how could I think I was better than anyone? Y'all can communicate with your hands. That's a skill I don't have. I know I won't stick to learning ASL unless I'm getting graded for it for at least a year. And I'm determined to become fluent. Especially now that I have a few other ASL student friends that are around my level. We challenge each other and help each other improve. I've gone to a few deaf events and stood awkwardly around. I've butchered some conversations with deaf people, having to explain that I just started a few months ago and am pretty awful at signing let alone understanding others haha. Just here to talk and make friends. I'm not looking to use anyone to better my signing because I'd rather just message on here anyway. I was wondering though, should I learn proper ASL first. I know deaf people use a lot of shorthand but considering I'm the opposite of fluent it probably isn't smart to shorthand my sentences, However, I don't want to get into the habit of using little words like is and be and then have people telling me not to do that. Opinions? Thanks. Hope to talk to some people. I apologize in advance if any of this was taken as rude.

:welcome:

Yes, I recommend learning proper ASL first. You can always adapt your style later.

Back