Hearie at Gallaudet?

caseverlasting

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals. I'm a junior in high school and trying to figure out my path for the future. I've taken ASL for about five years and love the language and deaf culture. I'm trying to look at interpreter programs at different colleges, but really love the program at Gallaudet. I am just kind of scared about not fitting in. I guess I am just wondering if I should even apply. Any words of wisdom would be helpful

You can never go wrong when you are doing what you love. If you love the program at Gallaudet, then my advice would be go for it. Of course, you have all of the facts and can make a more informed decision about your future than me, so take my advice with a grain of salt. But don't let your feelings of possibly not fitting in affect your chances of getting a quality education. If you weren't feeling like you might not fit in, than you wouldn't be going to college. :)

The thing about Gallaudet is that you have hearies and deafies coming from all over the country to go to school there. So it is slightly easier to fit in there than trying to say fit in at your local deaf community meetups. In my experience certain interpreters who have put in the time are welcomed as members of the community and friends while others interpret and they go hang out with some of the other interpreters they don't really connect. So I would say it is up to you how involved in the community you want to be at Gallaudet.

Back