Hard of hearing in Holland

vpf

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am living near The Hague in Holland but am originally from New England, USA. I have used aids for about 18 years but am slowly but surely losing what's left. They tell me CI won't work for my type of loss. The irony is I am a teacher... English language (EAL) and literature, too.. I am just beginning to look for creative ways I can keep teaching or at least doing something in education while making a modest living.
My kids think I need to learn sign. I would like to but which should I learn?
American, British, Dutch... Is there an international sign?
I am looking forward to chatting it up hear on AD.
Vic

is your loss conductive? if so, Baha may work 4 you. same thing with a CROS hearing aid
you'll see Dixie roaming in the forums sometimes

:welcome:

There isn't an international sign language, just as there isn't an international spoken language. Your best bet will be to learn the sign language of your local Deaf community as that will enable you to make Deaf friends where you live.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I think you can learn how to sign Dutch Sign Language there so that you can communicate with Deaf people. It is really much easier to communicate than try to lipread and comprehend hearing people. In your country, I hope you have a Deaf community in your area. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Learning the language

Hello all,
I am living near The Hague in Holland but am originally from New England, USA. I have used aids for about 18 years but am slowly but surely losing what's left. They tell me CI won't work for my type of loss. The irony is I am a teacher... English language (EAL) and literature, too.. I am just beginning to look for creative ways I can keep teaching or at least doing something in education while making a modest living.
My kids think I need to learn sign. I would like to but which should I learn?
American, British, Dutch... Is there an international sign?
I am looking forward to chatting it up hear on AD.
Vic

Welcome.
I can somewhat relate. I had a very sudden hearing loss and was just told that hearing aids will not benefit me. I'm desperate to learn ASL. I wish you luck on learning sign language and hope you can find away to keep on teaching.:angel:

Back