Greetings From The East Bay!

Sehd510

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm James, normally not the Introductory type but since you will no doubt run into me at some point during my time here, figured what the hell!

Recently browsed a Blog maintained by a Deaf Woman and after reading several of her posts I began to see Deaf and HOH people in a different light. You see, I knew they existed but I didn't really encounter them often enough and given the obvious barrier in Communication it was easy for me to write them off as Invisible.

I actually purchased an ASL book several years back but after a few awkward encounters with Deaf people, especially the Snarky ones who feel all of us Hearing people are "Stupid" and hold some sort of hatred toward us for whatever reason it was easier to just forget about it.

I did a Google Search and found AD so here I am. Perhaps I can gain something from this experience and learn to respect the Deaf Community on a deeper level.

Most of my time is spent heading out to Emergency Calls with my Camera gear and Documenting them for Public Consumption, not to be confused with
Coparazzi although I do Stalk Cops for Stories. Wink, wink.

The little free time I have to myself is spent coming up with ideas to better the World around me and Building Homemade Drones.

I'm Anti Politics, not Religious and Fiercely Opinionated while passionate about specific topics and can be a major smart ass when provoked. I believe Honesty is the best policy even if it means confrontation or risk of being put into the corner for a time out.

Learn more about me by Interacting. ;)

Welcome, nice to see another Californian.
Most of us here are pretty nice and if you browse through some of threads you can get to know us. I do not have a problem with hearing people, my whole family are hearing.
You can ask us questions if you would like.

I do not understand how you never ran into a deaf or hoh people in what Alameda county . I lived in Berkeley for almost 9 years in the 70's and I went to a center for the deaf and hoh to learn ASL. If there where not a lot of deaf or hoh people living in the city then there would had been no needs for the center. So I think you just wanted nothing to do with deaf and hoh people and didn't take time to met them .

I do not understand how you never ran into a deaf or hoh people in what Alameda county . I lived in Berkeley for almost 9 years in the 70's and I went to a center for the deaf and hoh to learn ASL. If there where not a lot of deaf or hoh people living in the city then there would had been no needs for the center. So I think you just wanted nothing to do with deaf and hoh people and didn't take time to met them .

I have encountered both Deaf & HOH people but it's not that common. Here in Newark, there's no real place for Deaf people to congregate and therefore I never see any in Public.

California School for the Deaf located in the next town over (Fremont) has a huge sprawling Campus which accommodates Deaf between kinder & senior grade levels but also is frequented by adults who are alumni or have decided to work at the school after graduating and is the only real place in this part of the County where Deaf people hang out.

Every Deaf person I ever met was actually near the Deaf campus. Some are friendly, others are not. Just like anyone else.

Back