Greetings from impending speech impaired...

Hartmtn87

Reaction score
Hi all -

Due to a medical condition requiring a tracheostomy and repeated surgeries on my trachea, I have recently learned that I most likely will have to make a decision soon between breathing and speaking. Guess it's obvious what the choice will be :hmm:...

Because of this, I am starting to learn sign language before I totally lose my voice. I think the most difficult hardship from this is my husband. He is 63 and is finding it difficult to even learn the alphabet. I do a lot of writing notes at home, when my voice is done for the day. I'm assuming that it will be easiest to learn either SEE or Pidgin due to our ages (I'm 43). I will definitely be posting in the sign language forum often!

I'm glad I found this site to help with this transition.

Hi all -

Due to a medical condition requiring a tracheostomy and repeated surgeries on my trachea, I have recently learned that I most likely will have to make a decision soon between breathing and speaking. Guess it's obvious what the choice will be :hmm:...

Because of this, I am starting to learn sign language before I totally lose my voice. I think the most difficult hardship from this is my husband. He is 63 and is finding it difficult to even learn the alphabet. I do a lot of writing notes at home, when my voice is done for the day. I'm assuming that it will be easiest to learn either SEE or Pidgin due to our ages (I'm 43). I will definitely be posting in the sign language forum often!

I'm glad I found this site to help with this transition.

Siemens makes the artificial voice technology for people who lose the larynx due to cancer.

So I wonder if no one has told you about the technology available.

Wow...and I think I've had bad days.....I'm sorry to learn of your situation. I can imagine the difficulty your husband is having because it stops me from learning ASL too. Being learning disabled, I can't spell, so ASL is pretty worthless to me, and it's hard on my hands too - I'm 44. Bottesini's advice was spot on - technology has come a long way. I'd speak with your doctors about technology that might be available to help you through this life change. ASL is a good option but there may be better choices, less tiring for both you, your husband, and family.....

Laura

Siemens makes the artificial voice technology for people who lose the larynx due to cancer.

So I wonder if no one has told you about the technology available.

There's also augmentive and alternative technolgies available. Not to discourage you from using ASL or anything, but it's not the only option. Alternative option might be a bit easier for you. I'll post more links and info tomorrow.

Remembering my own situation when I became deaf and was told that in given time, I would lose my ability to speak...the thought of that really depressed me deeply, as I loved to talk....and still talking today...hope you will follow up with Botti's, suggestions and the best of luck to you! :wave:

Back