Grammar help please

Bobber

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Let me start off by saying that I am new to ASL. I'm currently in ASL 1 at SHSU. I'm having a lot of trouble with syntax and grammar. I do the same thing as the woman in this thread:

http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=117890&highlight=grammer

I tend to sign in English. Some of the suggestions included the idea that she should learn ASL the same way as any other language. The problem is, this is my first attempt at actually learning another language. I'm hesitant to sign anymore than exactly what we're learning in class (and vocabulary) because I don't want to learn it in my ASL vocabulary simple to sign my language. From what I understand, different languages offer different ways of thinking. ASL seems very intricate and very expressive. Maybe if someone could translate a few sentences for me, I can begin to better understand how to start thinking when I sign. None of these are for homework, and I'm currently ahead in class.

1. My friend went to the store yesterday, and he hurt himself while reaching for an item on the top shelf.

2. I watched the football game between Houston and Oakland last Sunday. Houston won 27 to 7.

3. My fiance and I plan to get married this next spring.

Back