Glad to have this opportunity!

nancypancy

Reaction score
Hello everyone my name is Sarina and I am 17 years old. I am a hearing person who admires and adores the deaf culture. One of the reasons I decided to divulge into this website is because I was so fascinated to meet deaf and other hard of hearing people and learn more about the beauty of it. I do not know any deaf or hard of hearing person personally but I would love to create friendships! I aspire to be a speech pathologist and an audiologist as well as an auditory verbal therapist to specialize in American sign language. It is something I have always wanted to do because of my love for the language. In fact, I was so intrigued by it I taught myself American sign language. I just hope that I can share interests and learn new things about the deaf culture. I look forward to making new friends

:wave: <kindly>
BUT

you have lots of things to learn....

one doesn't "adore" other cultures. That is patronizing and many will not appreciate.

auditory verbal training and ASL don't go together. Auditory verbal dismantles and denigrates ASL and Deaf culture. To some degree so does speech therapy, depending on various factors.

OK I understand! Like you said I do have a lot of things to learn. I am sorry I do not want to sound patronizing. I understand when you said one doesn't "adore" another culture i should have used a better word than that. In some cases I do agree that speech therapy and auditory verbal therapy does take away from ASL

These days it common do bsl/asl together.Why don't you find out if local deaf club have a day or evening group who have heari's often they do..
For myself I hate it when people say beauty of it sign is communication that's all.Other disagree.i went deaf in 30s believe me I found no beauty to it and many deaf had rough childhoods a common thread most older deaf will tell you but that maybe generation thing in those days society was to aspire to thinking and being hearing..These days it different deaf people get choice hearing parents should be educated better when have deaf child well that's the theary
You young girl so get started by meeting deaf people in there own world at deaf club or venues or voluntary work with children or elderly deaf who get forgotten
good luck in your future career choices my daughter inlaw speech therapist and it not an easy thing to do she works very hard
I not American so others could write more details I write more general experience although forums are helpful being with deaf is better

I would give you a like dm but like button gone.Nancy dog mom is right she put it better than me

Welcome to AllDeaf, I agree with caz, it is easier looking in from the outside and seeing the grass greener but don't be discouraged.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

Hey. I am glad that you have the opportunity to experience the joy of the sounds around. Thank you for trying to understand our subculture and imbued us

Hello everyone my name is Sarina and I am 17 years old. I am a hearing person who admires and adores the deaf culture. One of the reasons I decided to divulge into this website is because I was so fascinated to meet deaf and other hard of hearing people and learn more about the beauty of it. I do not know any deaf or hard of hearing person personally but I would love to create friendships! I aspire to be a speech pathologist and an audiologist as well as an auditory verbal therapist to specialize in American sign language. It is something I have always wanted to do because of my love for the language. In fact, I was so intrigued by it I taught myself American sign language. I just hope that I can share interests and learn new things about the deaf culture. I look forward to making new friends��

AVT and ASL are diametrically opposed...

Also I imagine you want to delve into this website, not divulge. My dad always said to only use words the meaning of which you are certain.

:wave: <kindly>
BUT

you have lots of things to learn....

one doesn't "adore" other cultures. That is patronizing and many will not appreciate.

auditory verbal training and ASL don't go together. Auditory verbal dismantles and denigrates ASL and Deaf culture. To some degree so does speech therapy, depending on various factors.

I was just going to say....... Speech therapy is compatible with being Deaf, as long as you approach the speech therapy as being like spoken English skills for a French/Spanish/other foriegn language speaker. AVT is NOT at all compatible with ASL.

OK I understand! Like you said I do have a lot of things to learn. I am sorry I do not want to sound patronizing. I understand when you said one doesn't "adore" another culture i should have used a better word than that. In some cases I do agree that speech therapy and auditory verbal therapy does take away from ASL

Um, you do know that AVT is not at ALL compatible with ASL/Deaf culture right? It's a therapy that views ASL and even speechreading as a " crutch" to functioning in the hearing world. It even claims that AVT children assimulate into the hearing world. It is SO hardcore that it even poisons AVT parents against interventions like oral deaf camps or even oral deaf schools. There's no " some cases" here.... It's ALL cases. AVT is a VERY unhealthy intervention, as it hyperfocuses on " normal hearing functioning" as the best " end goal. (even thou that end goal, is very unrealistic and unhealthy)

:wave:I see what you're saying, Deafdyke-

Well you know, as a disabilty rights activist I strongly believe that kids with all sorts of issues have the right to a variety of approaches, specialized tools, and specialized educational and social experiances. Not just the kneejerk assumption of "oh all they need is mainstream level functioning and inclusion, inclusion inclusion." I know that there's a HUGE fixtation on inclusion at all costs especially with the ID population. But what is so freaking WRONG with a balance of both specialized stuff AND mainstream stuff? So many kids with special needs would THRIVE if they got specialized stuff!

Back