Full Inclusion

Tanson

Reaction score
Hello Everyone My name is Tanner ... I`m learning about individuals with a disability/expectionality children. I would like your thought's about Full Inclusion of the deaf culture or hard of hearing individuals in the mainstream classroom.

Hello Everyone My name is Tanner ... I'm a student in the E.A (Education Assistant) program learning about individuals with a disability/expectionality children. I would like your thought's about Full Inclusion of the deaf culture or hard of hearing individuals in the mainstream classroom.
There are already huge amounts of answers and debate in this forum on your specific question. That is the reason the thread I am posting for you to read was created.

http://www.alldeaf.com/introduce-yo...iews-questions-surveys-please-read-first.html

Tanson, overall inclusion is a piece of shit. It's just a bunch of rhetoric to pander to parents of kids with cogntive disabilties, who act if you suggest that their kid might do better in a specialized classroom or school, that you're telling them to go back to Willowbrook.
As for inclusion of dhh kids specificly....Let me put it this way. Most mainstream teachers, including sped teachers have little to no training with how to teach kids with classic/low incidence disabilties.
Yes, inclusion needs to be an option, but so do other options ranging from seperate schools (which may or may not be residental), to specialized classes and so on.

I only have one thought about mainstreaming for deaf/hoh children...

NO!

My 11 yo SSD son has always been mainstreamed, except for speech therapy a few times a week. Since he's both hearing and deaf, this seemed the best route for him. This is certainly NOT the best route for every child or every family. If he did not have a fully hearing ear, I don't know how happy we'd be with it.

Welcome! I'm new too, looks like a great site :)

My 11 yo SSD son has always been mainstreamed, except for speech therapy a few times a week. Since he's both hearing and deaf, this seemed the best route for him. This is certainly NOT the best route for every child or every family. If he did not have a fully hearing ear, I don't know how happy we'd be with it.

Forgive my ignorance... What is an SSD?

Also, What do you mean by "... both hearing and deaf"? Does this mean one hear is deaf and one is hearing? Or that he is deaf with hearing aids or Cochlear implant?

You are right, it's not for everyone. You need to take each child's individual skills and needs into consideration. Welcome to Alldeaf! :)

:wave: Tanson

but....read...a lot on here. Take to heart what Shel, Botti and DD tell you.

and also, andreav, hey there:)

Cheetah,

SSD means Single Side Deafness. Yes, he's deaf in one ear and hearing in the other. We're getting his first HA next month and he's very excited. Thanks for welcoming me!

Cheetah,

SSD means Single Side Deafness. Yes, he's deaf in one ear and hearing in the other. We're getting his first HA next month and he's very excited. Thanks for welcoming me!

Just curious (not trying to harp on you) if he has normal hearing in one ear, why the speech therapy? I've always assumed if you had at least one really good ear then at least your speech would be fine (I grew up with a hearing loss in both ears).

And Congrats on the new HA!

Just curious (not trying to harp on you) if he has normal hearing in one ear, why the speech therapy? I've always assumed if you had at least one really good ear then at least your speech would be fine (I grew up with a hearing loss in both ears).

And Congrats on the new HA!

From what I have heard over the years, single-sided deafness isn't a fun thing to have.....

Cheetah,

He's had speech therapy since he was 6mo old. I don't know what his speech would sound like without it, lol. He still doesn't hear and say all words correctly - ne"th"er instead of never, that sort of thing. Plus, with speech therapy at school, he gets access to a FM system to use in class so he can hear better and not be distracted.

From what I have heard over the years, single-sided deafness isn't a fun thing to have.....

Cheetah,

He's had speech therapy since he was 6mo old. I don't know what his speech would sound like without it, lol. He still doesn't hear and say all words correctly - ne"th"er instead of never, that sort of thing. Plus, with speech therapy at school, he gets access to a FM system to use in class so he can hear better and not be distracted.

I am learning now that single-sided deafness is a much bigger challenge than I had imagined. Thank you for sharing your story with me. Perhaps others here can relate better than I can.

I am learning now that single-sided deafness is a much bigger challenge than I had imagined. Thank you for sharing your story with me. Perhaps others here can relate better than I can.

Hi Cheetah, I'm curious: do you have bilateral CIs or just one? I've often wondered if those who use just one CI or one HA have a bit in common with those who have unilateral hearing loss or SSD.

Hi Cheetah, I'm curious: do you have bilateral CIs or just one? I've often wondered if those who use just one CI or one HA have a bit in common with those who have unilateral hearing loss or SSD.

ok a bit of a story...

I actually had a mix growing up. I started with one HA in the left ear for many years. Once my family could afford it I got two HA. After a few years one broke (or got lost). then I had one HA in the left ear for a few years, then two again for a long time. Every few years my hearing decreased approx 5 db.

Finally (5 years ago) my HA were only giving me loud noises little speech. I got one CI in my right ear (worst ear) so for the next 3 years I went with one CI and one HA. the CI let me hear speech, and the HA actually gave me some clarity. I am now down to just my CI. Growing up the one HA was always on the left side (thus I understand speech better in that ear).

They implanted my "worst" side. so now I have a CI in the right ear and have spent the last few years learning to understand speech in the right side. My brain was not happy about moving speech from the left ear to the right. It was 3 years of a hell of a lot of work.

I no longer have any usable hearing left for a HA to assist, so I am preparing to go bilateral. I am hopeful that getting speech back in my left year (the dominate ear) will be a huge boost to my speech recognition.

From experience I can tell you that there is a big difference between having both ears or only having one ear. It just never occurred to me that someone with "normal" hearing in one ear might have a similar experience to me. this is why I am very interested in the posters experience (with his son).

I hope this is clear.

Then again unilateral dhh kids have been the most mainstreamed. Until recently, they didn't even generally get minimal accomondations. I do think that unilateral dhh kids can benifit the most from a minimal accomondations/mainstream approach. Then again, we have a parent of a unilateral kid who is interested in Deaf School placement for their son! (b/c they're dissatistifed with the accomondations in the mainstream) Just wondering....is he in speech for speech or language issues? If he has a language delay (and some unilateral kids do) you might want to be aware that middle school and high school can be really hard for kids with disabilties. Maybe if he has issues then, you could send him to a dhh program/regional magnet school, or even a deaf school.

Deafdyke,

He does not have speech delay, but again, he's had speech since he was 6mo. Our city has a top notch Birth to 3 program. He's going to have to work really hard now that he will have a HA for the first time and his brain starts recognizing more speech.

He is in Middle School and has a FM system that he uses for every class and the teachers are great about it. In fact, the school audiologist and speech pathologist just called to say we're going to do a new IEP (Individualized Education Program - for kids with disabilities) before he gets his HA to make sure we're all on the same page to assist him on this. The schools have been wonderful. He's been in public school since he was 3 yo - they have Early Learning for 3 and 4 yo with disabilities.

BTW, our audiologist at the dr's office recommended the BAHA immediately and I insisted on starting with the HA not surgery. He, so far, does not want surgery and doesn't even know if he'll like the HA, but did want to at least try it to see what it's like, so I'm having him try it for 1 month and we'll see from there. It's all up to him. He's old enough to decide.

It's going to be a whole different world for him.

Deafdyke,

He does not have speech delay, but again, he's had speech since he was 6mo. Our city has a top notch Birth to 3 program. He's going to have to work really hard now that he will have a HA for the first time and his brain starts recognizing more speech.

He is in Middle School and has a FM system that he uses for every class and the teachers are great about it. In fact, the school audiologist and speech pathologist just called to say we're going to do a new IEP (Individualized Education Program - for kids with disabilities) before he gets his HA to make sure we're all on the same page to assist him on this. The schools have been wonderful. He's been in public school since he was 3 yo - they have Early Learning for 3 and 4 yo with disabilities.

BTW, our audiologist at the dr's office recommended the BAHA immediately and I insisted on starting with the HA not surgery. He, so far, does not want surgery and doesn't even know if he'll like the HA, but did want to at least try it to see what it's like, so I'm having him try it for 1 month and we'll see from there. It's all up to him. He's old enough to decide.

It's going to be a whole different world for him.

Oh that's AWESOME! Again I'm impressed....and it reinforces my theroy that unilateral kids can really thrive with the traditional minimal accomondation hoh style accomondations.. I'm impressed that he's being followed by an audi and speech pathologist.

Hello Everyone My name is Tanner ... I`m learning about individuals with a disability/expectionality children. I would like your thought's about Full Inclusion of the deaf culture or hard of hearing individuals in the mainstream classroom.

What are you expecting if coming from you as a hearing person about having any disability or deaf/hard of hearing child in the mainstream classroom? You want every disability and/or deaf/hard of hearing to be successful with no accommodations in the mainstream school.

You expect both hard of hearing and deaf people to lipread 100% which is impossible as it is hard to understand what the teacher and the hearing students said. No way would a child had to suffer just that he or she have to follow the hearing parents' desire to do what they want from their hearing parents. The hearing parents don't listen to our needs and the hearing parents want to make the decisions for us to be hearing like them. Most mainstream teachers don't know how to work with deaf or hard of hearing children. :roll:

I am sorry that is not going to work. You have to accept the disability person or deaf/hard of hearing person the way they are. They need special accommodations like ASL interpreters (a child need to learn ASL first before having a ASL interpreter in his/her classroom) and notetaking so that we don't have to write down and miss what the teacher are saying. Also a child need close or open captioned on the program for teaching aid whether it is on T.V. or projector showing films.

If you want to learn about our deaf perspective, then you are welcome to read and learn about topics that we had talked about a lot to hearing people and to some people who are new to deafness as a late deafened. You can not expect us to be normal like hearing people at all as we will never have normal hearing. Our hearing are different than what you hear. So get use to it. CI is the same like hearing aids only it is a little bit better but not a lot. :roll:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Enjoy reading and posting if you need to ask or want to say something to us. See you around here. :wave:

Back