From Kansas but hoping to move back East

xavierzsada

Reaction score
Hi
I got on late last night, and was trying to find my way around. I don't do many forums, none actually. I am hearing, and starting ITP in the fall. I moved out here to be closer to family when I was pregnant and now almost 6 yrs later am hoping to get back on track with my career and I am wanting to move back to Pa, or nearby. I have been trying to find information for the last 3 months (since getting accepted into ITP) about where the best place to work on the east coast would be for an interpreter. I originally thought DC (which is where I was wanting) and then I was told that there are more people in Rochester. I assumed that moving to where the greatest amount of Deaf people were would be most effective to find work. BUT here in lies the problem....no one seems to know where the most people are. I have heard Rochester #1, Olathe(here in Kansas City) #2. I have tried to email organizations and ask, but no luck. I stumbled upon this site and I am hoping that I can meet some people from back East, hopefully make some friends, do some networking, and understand more about Deaf culture. I was disappointed that the MAP seems to be messed up, cause that may have helped me out a lot. I also used to work in the animal industry (as a zoo keeper) and in the Park service. I also used to substitute teach, but I don't enjoy it. I love libraries and nature centers, so I hope that my signing will come in handy to volunteer at places that may not have the ability to hire an interpreter (zoo programs, nature hikes, rope courses, etc)

Back