Fish Fry

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
Here in USA, there are often events called fish fry. I went to one with my ex-girlfriend and her family in summer of 2011. I was excited. I had always wondered what fish fry was like. I was pleased for the opportunity to go to one. I wouldn't mind going to one again.

What is fish fry to you?

I was raised along the Mississippi, and we had a lot of fish fries. Mostly channel cat. Because catfish is a bony fish, they would run it through a machine that would debone it by slicing it up, but keep it intact along the skin. The breading was well-flavored, and crunchy. The juices were wonderful, and because it was fried at such a hot temperature, it did not taste greasy.

Farmraised catfish nuggets are a pale imitation.

There was also a local brewery, I think sometimes they sponsored the fishfries. At least, it really flowed. :D

I like baked catfish and some other fish; also been to Door County WI Fish Boil like this one: ."... traditional Door County fish boil, like the one served at the .....features freshly caught Lake Michigan whitefish caught by local fishermen and cooked outside over an open fire, just as it was one hundred years ago by the Scandinavian settlers of the Peninsula."

It includes - red potatoes, homemade breads and butter, coleslaw and fresh Door County cherry pie.

Common Fish Frys here traditionally have fried fish which I don't eat anymore. But they usually have beer battered cod or perch, some kind of potato, rolls etc.

You people are making me hungry!!! I've vacationed in Door County maybe 2 or 3 times gvrowing up. I don't even recall going to fish fry out there. Wow, I must have missed out on a cool Door Country tradition. Makes me want to go back and try a fish fry out there.

Maybe we could have a meet-up sometime this summer!!

Most churches and VFW Halls have fish frys on fridays around here, mainly consisting on Jack Salmon and I love it. Usually comes with bread, potatoe salad and a veggie, I normally get several jacks in my meal. I have driven past several places with signs up recently and since I havent had it in a long while, I am in the mood for a fish fry... Might go in the comming week when I get paid.

To me, taking a 12 inch log, 1.5 inch fillet of perch, haddock, or cod, coating it with a thick layer of Panko bread crumbs, deep fried, and thick-cut, greasy steak fries is the definition of a real fish fry.

Red Lobster's fish & chips is pretty close to some of the best I've had.

Most churches and VFW Halls have fish frys on fridays around here, mainly consisting on Jack Salmon and I love it. Usually comes with bread, potatoe salad and a veggie, I normally get several jacks in my meal. I have driven past several places with signs up recently and since I havent had it in a long while, I am in the mood for a fish fry... Might go in the comming week when I get paid.

I am east of sonocativo and the churches that have them are mainly Catholic. Locally the Catholic church has one every Friday evening during Lent. I don't think the fish is Salmon but the menu otherwise is similar. One TV station out of St. Louis features a different one each Friday during this time.

The Catholic churches here are big on Friday night Fish Fry during Lent.

The Swedish churches here are big on Christmas season Lutefisk. (BLECH !!!! I am Swedish myself but I refuse to eat stinky fish marinated in brine.)

I like baked catfish and some other fish; also been to Door County WI Fish Boil like this one: ."... traditional Door County fish boil, like the one served at the .....features freshly caught Lake Michigan whitefish caught by local fishermen and cooked outside over an open fire, just as it was one hundred years ago by the Scandinavian settlers of the Peninsula."

It includes - red potatoes, homemade breads and butter, coleslaw and fresh Door County cherry pie.

Common Fish Frys here traditionally have fried fish which I don't eat anymore. But they usually have beer battered cod or perch, some kind of potato, rolls etc.

OMG I used to go to Door County all the time. I'm from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I love going to restaurants that have Friday night Fish Fry. I would order "Poor Man's Lobster" which is Cape Cod fish. So yummy! I unfortunately don't know how to cook fish but I know how to fish. I live in Texas now. Couldn't stand the cold climate in Wisconsin, especially the winters.

I also love herring.

You people are making me hungry!!! I've vacationed in Door County maybe 2 or 3 times gvrowing up. I don't even recall going to fish fry out there. Wow, I must have missed out on a cool Door Country tradition. Makes me want to go back and try a fish fry out there.

I've gone to Door County so many times I've lost count!

I was raised along the Mississippi, and we had a lot of fish fries. Mostly channel cat. Because catfish is a bony fish, they would run it through a machine that would debone it by slicing it up, but keep it intact along the skin. The breading was well-flavored, and crunchy. The juices were wonderful, and because it was fried at such a hot temperature, it did not taste greasy.

Farmraised catfish nuggets are a pale imitation.

There was also a local brewery, I think sometimes they sponsored the fishfries. At least, it really flowed. :D

I like catfish. I've caught a couple of big ones while fishing in Arkansas. They are yummy. My dad is from Arkansas and we went to Arkansas like 5 times a year. I missed a lot of school to go there.

Wirelessly posted

When a group of us go down to the camp we would clean and put in our catch. Mainly Groupers, grunts and seabass. Make some hushpuppies and coleslaw and break out the beer. Hell yeah. Great way to get together with family and friends.

We went to Door with my aunt<mom's sister> - hubby, me, dad. It was alot of fun.

I like to make baked salmon or tilapia.

Wirelessly posted

I also enjoy oyster roasts, crab boils, crawfish boils. Yummmy! The typical Florida beach lifestyle.

Found an ad in my local paper for tomorrow night's fry at the local Catholic church (in Southern Illinois).

All You Can Eat. Menu: Fish, slaw, baked beans, bread, dessert & drink. Dine-in: Adults $8.00; Child $4.00 (age 8 & under); Carry-outs $8.00. We will deliver orders of 10 or more. Phone number is given.

They serve from 5 to 7 pm on Fridays during Lent in their School Cafeteria/Gym.

Up here it is the salmon bake I guess they call it. Barbecued salmon is one of lifes great pleasures. When I was a kid we would have king crab boils. That was before they ramped up and annihilated them and now they are back but nothing like those giant king crabs back then. Halibut is a favorite too with some people making a beer batter that is perfection.
I just learned a trick from a chef from my last job where he used white pepper on the halibut. So good.

Back