First Televised Presidental Debates 1960

SneakerNet

Retired
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gotta love this video..LOL!! Good news... it's fully CC.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QazmVHAO0os]Kennedy vs. Nixon - 1st 1960 Debate - YouTube[/ame]

Both performed intelligently in that debate.

The only difference was image, even though I think Nixon's image seemed fine for the most part, except for his fidgeting.

Interesting to watch!

Thanks for the video (minus the added balloons) and post SneakerNet.

Visual presentation vs. debate content:

People who listened to the debate on radio said Nixon won.

People who watched the debate on TV said Kennedy won.

How about that bare bones setting? :lol:

Both performed intelligently in that debate.

The only difference was image, even though I think Nixon's image seemed fine for the most part, except for his fidgeting.

Interesting to watch!

Nixon was sweating so badly in his his debate with Kennedy , the room temperature had to be kept colder so Nixon was not look so bad on his debate.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIdsQACxzN4[/ame]

Thanks for the video (minus the added balloons) and post SneakerNet.

Visual presentation vs. debate content:

People who listened to the debate on radio said Nixon won.

People who watched the debate on TV said Kennedy won.

So people more much had watched the debate on TV because Kennedy won the election.

Nixon was sweating so badly in his his debate with Kennedy , the room temperature had to be kept colder so Nixon was not look so bad on his debate.

Nixon Sweating - YouTube

I heard he had a fever of 104? :dunno:

It's clear that television has taken attention away from content and towards appearances.

I can't even see sweat on that video.

Another story: Nixon refused TV makeup before his appearance. Kennedy accepted the makeup. That is why Nixon does not look as good as Kennedy. They use that makeup for a reason. Not sure about the fever thing, but TV makeup hides sweat.

Talking about sweating... the room was very warm due to all the "tubed" equipments they use. The TV camera produce enormous amout of heat, and don't forget that TV itself also tubed type and that produce lot of heat. Even though that the AC just introduce in 1953 but haven't been widely used.

So, imagine how hot in the room.

I heard he had a fever of 104? :dunno:

It's clear that television has taken attention away from content and towards appearances.

I can't even see sweat on that video.

There is sweat on his chin . And I never heard about Nixon having a fever , I did hear that Nixon wanted the room to be kept cool during the rest of the debates. I know some people where finding fault Paul Ryan clothes when he was on TV. I think there are more importance things to look in a candidate than what they're wearing.

Back