First meeting ?

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
What do you do on dates for first meetning? You see, if we lived one hour apart, we would meet for lunch and maybe a stroll at park. What if we lived 10 hour apart? Do I come over for a lunch and a stroll in park?

How have you done it?

Sure, I have been on dates. I was wondering how first dates are set differently for long distance relationships as opposed to local relationships.

The longer the distance the better the date must be

If it's 10 hours away, I'd find a motel to stay overnight. As for the date, I'd make it a day thing like going to the zoo or to an amusement park or something. Something longer and worthwhile the trip.

Yeah, it's alot of pressure for a date with that amount of travel. Better if there's something you're both interested in seeing or maybe an event you'd both like to attend. Then you can do that together and also have a meal together at some point during the day.

10 hours is a LOOOONGGG drive just for a stroll in the park. Rent a room so you can have a place to rest for the trip back home.

or not to rest depending on ho well the date goes..
cough

I can't imagine traveling 10 hours for a first date. Why would you want to start such a long-distance relationship?

I don't mind going for a drink or food as a first date - just go somewhere well lit and not too noisy or busy so you can both relax and understand each other. A walk is fun too, as you can keep the conversation going by commenting on the stuff around you as you go.

I can't imagine traveling 10 hours for a first date. Why would you want to start such a long-distance relationship?

I drove 5 hours for a first date one time after my divorce and the guy and I became good friends afterwards. He used to be an ADer here but died before I joined AD. He was a wonderful guy. Sometimes the dates don't work out but friendships can form. I got lucky in the friendship dept with that guy. I miss him.

I've taken people I've met from dating services on vacation. I can tell you this: You learn more about a person on a one week vacation than you do in a year of dating. You need to be safe, you should always meet in a safe place, but it's not a bad experience.

My advice is that you check out the source first, use Google, check the information, check about mentioned friends, etc.

I've never had a bad experience, but you have to be safe and cautious about it.

Amylynne makes a good point. If you do something like that realize no matter what you say or think it puts a lot of pressure on her.
Ten hours is a big investment in gas, time, hotel, food, all that gets computed not for its dollar amount but its pressure to put out amount. A first meal gets computed for its pressure to put out amount so the additional stuff is a lot. It is a shame that is the way it mostly works even if that is not the way you are at all.
If there is a way you can be out there for another real reason then include a casual meet with an open afternoon that takes some pressure off. Just my humble thought. I would take my time about following out that much of an endeavor. Says the guy who flew all the way to Malaysia.
:lol:

Ohhh always have a hotel room ready if things get hot and steamy! :lol:

If I had been in a long distance relationship and was driving 10 hours to meet, I'd kinda figure that was the next step;) If I drive 10 hours I'd be figuring on it ;) and damn it better be good :naughty:

Yeah, that's a haul for a date. Lunch and stroll won't cut it. That needs to be like an event. An all day affair, Zoo or amusement park is a good idea, but damn this a cold time if year for that kind of thing.

I've taken people I've met from dating services on vacation. I can tell you this: You learn more about a person on a one week vacation than you do in a year of dating. You need to be safe, you should always meet in a safe place, but it's not a bad experience.

My advice is that you check out the source first, use Google, check the information, check about mentioned friends, etc.

I've never had a bad experience, but you have to be safe and cautious about it.

That is interesting.......and brave :) some serious trial by fire. :hmm: you've never ended up going with someone that turned out to annoy the crap out of you?

That is interesting.......and brave :) some serious trial by fire. :hmm: you've never ended up going with someone that turned out to annoy the crap out of you?

You make me laugh Ambrosia! He is a braver man than I thatsa fact!

You make me laugh Ambrosia! He is a braver man than I thatsa fact!

Oh I don't know about that, you flew all the way to Malaysia??? :D

I'm def not knocking the idea. It could be great!! Going sight seeing with someone new......seems like you could have a great time even if the person didn't turn out fabulous.

Oh I don't know about that, you flew all the way to Malaysia??? :D

I'm def not knocking the idea. It could be great!! Going sight seeing with someone new......seems like you could have a great time even if the person didn't turn out fabulous.

Exactly!! That is what scares me about going long distance. I don't enjoy many sights if person is not interesting. I'm afraid of wasting my time seeing different places if the person does not turn out what it looks like.

Amylynne makes a good point. If you do something like that realize no matter what you say or think it puts a lot of pressure on her.
Ten hours is a big investment in gas, time, hotel, food, all that gets computed not for its dollar amount but its pressure to put out amount. A first meal gets computed for its pressure to put out amount so the additional stuff is a lot. It is a shame that is the way it mostly works even if that is not the way you are at all.
If there is a way you can be out there for another real reason then include a casual meet with an open afternoon that takes some pressure off. Just my humble thought. I would take my time about following out that much of an endeavor. Says the guy who flew all the way to Malaysia.
:lol:

Just for the record, by pressure, I meant pressure on both people, to be interesting, to have a good time, that the date not be a disappointment as far as who this person is that you've met. I wasn't talking about sex.

But I do agree that having another real reason for the trip takes the pressure off - and pressure can ruin something that might have been good, if you're too stressed to let your personality shine through. Same for her.

I had a long distance relationship once (on the order of the distance you're talking about) but when we first met, it was by chance, so by the time we were making the drive for the purpose of seeing each other, we already knew we really wanted to see each other.

I'm wondering if there's any way to keep this from being such a gamble, worrying if she's who you think she is or hope she is. Have you spent any time video chatting?

Back