Excited to be here

Bobber

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Me name John. I'm student at SHSU in Texas where I'm learning ASL. I grew up speaking English. I'm in ASL 1, so you'll know my questions are not simply to cheat my homework most of the time. If anyone is familiar with it, my class is using the book and dvd "Signing Naturally" units 1-6 (Cheri Smith, Ella Mae Lentz and Ken Mikos). I really like my teacher. He is deaf.

The biggest problem I'm having outside of class is syntax and grammar. I've read about SVO(S) and OSV(S), but I can't make sense of it beyond short sentences.

I really enjoy ASL so far, almost passionately, and I really want to become fluent and interact with the deaf community.

My teacher advised me to talk to as many deaf people as I can. It is my hope to learn ASL both by class and engaging with the deaf community itself. I'm looking forward to meeting anyone who will take the time!

:welcome:

The grammar will come more easily to you the more you interact with and observe native signers.

If you ever get the opportunity for a total immersion weekend, go for it. The ones in my state were sponsored as an outreach service by the state school for deaf, during the summer.

Lol, quick replies! It's good to know other people are using my book. I don't mind it. I'm just so anxious to learn!

Reba, is this a good forum to interact? I realize that in-person interaction would be ideal, but There's not much here. There is a deaf church. I wonder if it would help to start going there...?

Reba, is this a good forum to interact? I realize that in-person interaction would be ideal, but There's not much here. There is a deaf church. I wonder if it would help to start going there...?

Well, If you are anxious I can help :), I am very involved with deaf community where I am :), grammar I am not sure but I can help, and if your grammar is better then it could be a good trade off lol :) and yeah, the deaf community (even church) can help:)

Back