Ear Infections and other questions

Angel1989

Premium Member
Reaction score
Our ear infections common when your deaf? I really need to know what happens to the pressure in your ears if you fly? Just driving up to a higher elevation hurts my ears. Is there a trick so we can still travel? Please someone answer!!!::::hmm:

I always have many ear infections. Not know if because deaf. :dunno:

Ear pressure my most horrible part travel!!! Have worst time equalise it. Very pain.

Even before I became deaf my ears hurt when flying. I always take a decongestion and chew gum but it never works. I will not even attempt to fly now. Im too afraid.

Safarigirl, I think you mean the kind of earplugs labeled for airplane use, right?

How to Use Airplane Air Pressure Regulating Ear Plugs | eHow.com

I'm pretty sure if someone used regular ear plugs, it would probably make it worse. The reason I think so is because I've read that people who wear ear plugs while swimming will get ear pain if they swim deep enough. (Same air pressure problem -- just in a different direction.)

Angle, you can also try using nasel spray in addition to decongestants. I use both and it makes a difference.

I also remove my hearing aids on take off and keep them off until the plane reaches cruising level and chew gum the whole time. I remove them again when the plance starts to descend and chew gum the whole time until the plane lands.

It helps. I still get a little plugged up but not to the point of pain. If I leave any of those steps out, I feel it.

As for ear infections -- there are a lot of suggestions in a few threads. You can do a search. They are basically suggestions on how to keep your ear molds and ear canals clean and dry. If you can do that, you can probably cut back on the number of ear infections you will get.

Re ear molds --
Put your aids in a Dry n Store box with UV light or clean them with soap and water when you take them off at night. (Don't get your aids wet though!) The UV light kills germs, fungi and bacteria. Some people recommend uising rubbing alchohol, others say don't because it will shrink your ear molds. I guess it depends upon what material your ear molds are made out of.

Dry n Store is expensive -- I noticed that Amazon has started selling sanitizing wands that sell anywhere from $20.00 to even more than what the Dry n Store cost. Probably does the same thing the Dry n Store UV light does, but you would still need to keep your HAs in a box or jar with slica beads desiccant to dry them out. Your audi probably gave you one.

Re cleaning ear canals and keeping them dry -- there are a lot of suggestions, more than I can summarize.

I don't have hearing aids as of now. I didn't realize that was an option. I guess I'm too new at this. All I've heard from doctors was about CI. I don't like that suggestion. No more hospitals for me.

Safarigirl, I think you mean the kind of earplugs labeled for airplane use, right?

How to Use Airplane Air Pressure Regulating Ear Plugs | eHow.com

I'm pretty sure if someone used regular ear plugs, it would probably make it worse. The reason I think so is because I've read that people who wear ear plugs while swimming will get ear pain if they swim deep enough. (Same air pressure problem -- just in a different direction.)

Angle, you can also try using nasel spray in addition to decongestants. I use both and it makes a difference.

I also remove my hearing aids on take off and keep them off until the plane reaches cruising level and chew gum the whole time. I remove them again when the plance starts to descend and chew gum the whole time until the plane lands.

It helps. I still get a little plugged up but not to the point of pain. If I leave any of those steps out, I feel it.

As for ear infections -- there are a lot of suggestions in a few threads. You can do a search. They are basically suggestions on how to keep your ear molds and ear canals clean and dry. If you can do that, you can probably cut back on the number of ear infections you will get.

Re ear molds --
Put your aids in a Dry n Store box with UV light or clean them with soap and water when you take them off at night. (Don't get your aids wet though!) The UV light kills germs, fungi and bacteria. Some people recommend uising rubbing alchohol, others say don't because it will shrink your ear molds. I guess it depends upon what material your ear molds are made out of.

Dry n Store is expensive -- I noticed that Amazon has started selling sanitizing wands that sell anywhere from $20.00 to even more than what the Dry n Store cost. Probably does the same thing the Dry n Store UV light does, but you would still need to keep your HAs in a box or jar with slica beads desiccant to dry them out. Your audi probably gave you one.

Re cleaning ear canals and keeping them dry -- there are a lot of suggestions, more than I can summarize.

that's what I'm talking about dude :D

Back