Duane 'Dog' Chapman arrested by feds

Heath

Reaction score
HONOLULU - TV reality star Duane "Dog" Chapman and two co-stars on his show were arrested Thursday in Hawaii on charges of illegal detention and conspiracy in an alleged kidnapping three years ago.

Chapman, son Leland Chapman and associate Timothy Chapman were taken into custody and did not resist arrest, said Mark Hanohano, U.S. Marshal for the district of Hawaii. "It went down without incident," Hanohano said.

Mona K. Wood, a publicist for the star of the popular cable series "Dog The Bounty Hunter," said Chapman would be vindicated. "He arrests the bad guys — and he is definitely not one of them," she said.

The charges stem from Chapman's capture of Max Factor heir Andrew Luster on June 18, 2003, in Puerto Villarta, Mexico, said Marshals spokeswoman Nikki Credic in Washington.

Chapman's capture of Luster, who had fled the country after being convicted of raping three women, catapulted the 53-year-old bounty hunter to fame and led to the reality series on A&E.

The three are being held in Honolulu. Bail has not been set. They will face an extradition hearing to Mexico under terms of treaties between the U.S. and Mexico, Credic said.

Chapman's son Leland, 29, and Timothy Chapman, 41, no relation, assist Chapman in exploits chronicled for the TV show around the Hawaiian Islands. The show focuses on Chapman's family as much as the bounty hunting, which generally involves tracking down bail jumpers, often creating emotional scenes with repentant captives.

Charges have been pending against the three since local police in Mexico arrested them shortly after they roped in Luster. They posted bail but never returned to Puerto Villarta for their court hearing on July 15, 2003, Credic said.

Mexican authorities demanded that the Chapmans transfer Luster to Mexican police. Their refusal to do so led to their initial arrest.

A U.S. warrant for their arrest was signed by a federal judge in Honolulu on Wednesday.

Duane 'Dog' Chapman arrested by feds - Yahoo! News

It stinks. :mad:

I know !!!!!! I have not seen the t.v. show yet but being a native Texan. I am sure the Mexican government was gonna set the rapist free with little or no punishment for the rape of the women who did nothing to him at all and Dog was gonna do the right thing and the Mexican governmentt hated that. It has been said that the Mexican government is extremely corrupt about 300 x more corrupt than the U.S. Government.

It does stink. Money talks. It's been said that a member of the Luster family paid off someone in the Mexican government to have Dog arrested. I believe it, because Luster's family was very influential. Also, bounty hunting is illegal in Mexico, and I think this is what they used to arrest Dog.

Its a shame. :(

It does stink. Money talks. It's been said that a member of the Luster family paid off someone in the Mexican government to have Dog arrested. I believe it, because Luster's family was very influential. Also, bounty hunting is illegal in Mexico, and I think this is what they used to arrest Dog.

Its a shame. :(

I was talking to my family and friends who are cops and they think that is what happened. At least Dog and his son, his friend will have plenty of time to get in excellent physical condition in jail. I am sure they are gonna do alots of fighting in prison too and why the Feds are listening to the Mexican gov't beats me unless the Federal agent here in the U.S. happens to be Mexican himself and the judge is a mexican sympathizer bought and paid for by the Mexican gov't. Dog and his son, his friend may be surrounded by very dirty cops, lawyers and judges. I believe Dog and his boys will emerge from this victorious and arrest Luster and probably Mexican government officials and those who accepted the bribes will be arrested, I would not be surprised if a few very important people commited suicide too. Doesn't surprise me and Dog needs to lay off the cigs if he is to get back into top physical shape when he gets out of the joint bigger badder and more meaner !!!!!! :fingersx: :thumb: :cool:

... I believe Dog and his boys will emerge from this victorious ....
I don't know about that but I know that Mrs. Dog was very upset, and crying, when she described the arrest on TV and radio. It was very sad. :(

Damn. I love his tv show. Dog seems to be honorable person and he will pull out of this BS situation.

I don't know about that but I know that Mrs. Dog was very upset, and crying, when she described the arrest on TV and radio. It was very sad. :(

I am sure she was upset and crying and I also have confidence in Dog to survive this thing and become stronger and she will become stronger in the process. They just got married and I think they lost their daughter in an car accident right around that time. I hope Luster did not have anything to do with that but if he did and Dog has evidence that Luster harmed his daughter. Dog will fight like a pitbull and be a very unstoppable and a very dangerous man to Luster. I have confidence Dog will get Luster but that was not right of Luster and the Mexican gov't and the corrupt U.S. Federal agents to do that. Dog had a mission and he carried out his American duty to the utmost and bring Luster to justice. I trust and have confidence in Dog and his boys.

Congratulations for Dog Chapman *shrugs* i hate his shows -- i find them pretty stupid :ugh:

So what>>> They are catching criminals which isnt a crime!! watch what you say that can backfire you! Andrew Luster is a rapeist and how u can congrat somebdoy that's in jail?? That's pretty sickering. Money talks.. they do the walks! UGH

QUOTE=Fly Free;630175]Congratulations for Dog Chapman *shrugs* i hate his shows -- i find them pretty stupid :ugh:[/QUOTE]

i agree with one of those post.. Factor family probally paid mexican goverments or Mexican Govermenmt are mad at DOG for finding Luster bec they wanna the attetion ot themselves not DOG... sad.. and its legal to be bounty hunter and its a hard job

If Dog TV show never been on TV then no one give shat?.

Mexico Law and USA (or state) Law are not same. Mexico Law say Dog did illegal over there then so be it. USA law say Dog did legal here then so be it.

Dog broke Mexico law then Mexico arrested him.

Same thing, USA would do arrest anyone in anywhere outside of USA whom they broke US laws and bring them in USA.

That why they just doing their job under their laws. Even its sucks.

Update, Friday, September 15th, 2006

Dog, Leland and Tim were all released on bail on Friday, September 15th, 2006, as the judge concluded they are not flight risks. While out on bail, they will be required to remain in the state and wear electronic monitoring devices until they return to court for extradition hearings to face trial in Mexico. No date has been set for those hearings.

Also see here
New book champions pet-people bond - The Honolulu Advertiser

Update, Friday, September 15th, 2006

Dog, Leland and Tim were all released on bail on Friday, September 15th, 2006, as the judge concluded they are not flight risks. While out on bail, they will be required to remain in the state and wear electronic monitoring devices until they return to court for extradition hearings to face trial in Mexico. No date has been set for those hearings.

Also see here
New book champions pet-people bond - The Honolulu Advertiser

Here are some of the best quotes from the newspaper article .....

Susan Harris said she especially wanted to see Beth Chapman. And with the flamboyant Beth shouting at her husband, his attorney and the media, Harris got more than she bargained for.

"She's as straight up as I thought she was on TV," Harris said. "She stands by her man, and she's trying to protect him, and I appreciate that as a woman."

Frank and Denise Duarte of Mesa, Ariz., also are faithful fans of Chapman's TV show and said they admired him. They spent the final hours of their weeklong vacation yesterday waiting to see Chapman.

"We've done everything else. We did Pearl Harbor, we did the Polynesian Cultural Center and we did the beach," said Denise Duarte. "We probably were going to kick it at the beach today and then this came up, so we're here. This is more important than the beach."

Chapman's attorney, Brook Hart, said his client was pleased by his release. "He's appreciative that the American justice system works fairly," Hart said.

Chapman declined to comment on the charges and the Mexican government's attempt to bring him back for prosecution.

"I can't say nothing about Mexico because I want to respect everybody," he said.

Duane Chapman went to Mexico knowing that he and his associates would be subject to Mexican law, which bans bounty hunting, Johnson said.

"The Chapmans knew when they jumped bail, they were supposed to show up in court," Johnson said.

But Hart said his client went to Mexico to catch a U.S. citizen who fled from justice.

"He took him off the streets doing a major public service to the world and the country," Hart said.

Bottom line: Lack of research.

He should know better than that.
He did know better. He did it anyways because he knew it was the right thing to do. He was willing to take the chance in order to bring that rapist to justice.

Back