Don't think i have ever introduced myself so here it goes...!

I

Ilovetocrochet

Hi everyone. I've had an account for ages but never participated because I never wore my hearing aids!

I am 25 years old and have been diagnosed with severe sensorineural hearing loss for 14 years now. I got given hearing aids at 11, which I really couldn't get along with. After going back and forth to the audiologist for adjustments, they still weren't helping me so I decided to not wear them at all.

I coped OK. I struggled in classes and in groups with noisy backgrounds but I coped. After an incident at work where I couldn't hear the fire alarm go off, I knew I had to do something. I was always shouting without realising and people was starting to get fed up of my loud voice (and I felt mortified.. because I cannot hear myself shout!)

I went back to the NHS audiologist (free in UK), and asked about an upgrade as it has been 14 years but I was refused.. I believe due to financial cuts so they are trying to save money whereever they can and audiology was the first one they targeted! I was not satisfied with the outcome. The hearing aids I was given 14 years ago are well outdated now (Siemen Reflex).

In the end, I saved up enough money and I went to see a private audiologist, who recommended a RIC hearing aid due to me wanting them for comfort and clarity more than anything and for my type of hearing loss. I have got them now and they are perfect! Comfortable, lightweight and I can finally hear high pitched sounds! I am having them adjusted every couple of weeks for 1 month to make sure they're absolutely right for me.:dance2:

Goodness. You're from the UK? I cannot wrap my head over the fact that an audiologist is free, but not hearing aids! :crazy:

By the way, welcome. :)

Last edited:
Hello! Yes I am from UK :) audiologist and hearing aids are free here but only on the NHS :) and thank you

Back