DirecTV Launching New Channel for Dogs Only

rockin'robin

Reaction score
DirecTV is set to air a new, 24-hour channel for dogs bored at home called DOGTV.

"You can really use TV to entertain pets," Ron Levi, founder of DOGTV, told ABC News. "We have created programs where every frame, second and sound have been tailored to fit the way dogs see and hear the world."

DOGTV aims to help dogs who suffer from separation anxiety when their owners are away by providing "relaxing, stimulating and behavior-improving content" packaged in three- to six-minute-long segments, according to the channel's website.

"We wrote and recorded very relaxing music specifically for dogs. Everything we included in our content is something research tells us dogs like to see, like other dogs and moving objects," Levi said.

The channel will become available for pet owners and DirectTV subscribers nationwide on Aug. 1 for $4.99 per month, according to DOGTV's website. Last year, the channel was launched with a limited audience in San Diego, ABC News reported.

"Our audience in San Diego really loved the channel," Levi said. "Pet owners told us that their dogs were really getting relaxed after watching the content. And we used the feedback to improve. For example, we removed sounds of other dogs barking after we realized it was stressing the dogs."

DOGTV will air without commercials and humans may notice that the images on the screen are not as clear as they should be.

"The content is not for human eyes," Levi said. "It might be clear to dogs, but not necessarily for people."

One aspect of the programming DOGTV had to adjust for canine eyes was the use of red and green colors, as most dogs have red and green color blindness.

"We enhanced the greens and reds in the picture to make them more vibrant so they would be visible to dogs," said Nicholas Dodman, a professor of animal behavior at Tufts University. "We also included sounds that would be calming for dogs, but not necessarily humans."

DOGTV has attracted the attention of animal rights groups across the country.

"This channel is a grand experiment that has a lot of potential to do America's dogs a lot of good," Kirsten Theisen, director of pet care issues at The Humane Society of the United States, told ABC News. "We are hoping the science behind the channel is accurate and that the developers will follow up to see how to improve dogs' quality of life."

DirecTV Launching New Channel for Dogs Only | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!

Meaning that TV has to be left on while you work = higher electric bill = shorter life span of TV

Meaning that TV has to be left on while you work = higher electric bill = shorter life span of TV

What's a dollar or 2?...ur doggie deserves some enjoyment too...would you want to stay home all day without a TV?...Suppose you had no laptop/computer or any of the toys...and you were home all the time...

DirectTV is not my carrier tho'...but feel this will be a popular option to many people who work all day and love their doggies and consider them their "children"...Kudos to DirectTV...

What's a dollar or 2?...ur doggie deserves some enjoyment too...would you want to stay home all day without a TV?...Suppose you had no laptop/computer or any of the toys...and you were home all the time...

DirectTV is not my carrier tho'...but feel this will be a popular option to many people who work all day and love their doggies and consider them their "children"...Kudos to DirectTV...

He probably have big CRT TV that use A LOT of watts.
1-1.jpg

That's not true for LED HDTV.

LED HDTV uses less watts.

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/tv.html

I know alot about LED HDTV. It's actually called a LCD HDTV since it uses only several LEDS instead of fluorescent lights as a background light. In other words, it's not a pure LED HDTV. The pure LED HDTV is called OLED HDTV which will be available soon but it's VERY expensive since it's very thin and VERY light and it saves alot of energy. It produces the best colors of all.

BTW, it's so ****ing silly to leave your TV on for your dog to watch it. It will not always work except it could be attracted to TV sounds. However, when your dog finds out that it's "fake", it will go to sleep somewhere else. I guarantee it.

Last edited:
http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/tv.html

I know alot about LED HDTV. It's actually called a LCD HDTV since it uses only several LEDS instead of fluorescent lights as a background light. In other words, it's not a pure LED HDTV. The pure LED HDTV is called OLED HDTV which will be available soon but it's VERY expensive since it's very thin and VERY light and it saves alot of energy. It produces the best colors of all.

BTW, it's so ****ing silly to leave your TV on for your dog to watch it. It will not always work except it could be attracted to TV sounds. However, when your dog finds out that it's "fake", it will go to sleep somewhere else. I guarantee it.

That's not true - my HDTV is 100% LED.

My dog seems interested. He wants to know if the content for mature audiences will be password protected.

That's not true - my HDTV is 100% LED.
Difference between LCD and LED?

Although companies make use of those terms in describing TVs and computer monitors, LCDs and LEDs are themselves completely different entities. An LED is a Light Emitting Diode; when current is passed through it, light is created. An LCD is a Liquid Crystal Display; when light is passed through these crystals, they alter the light creating shapes and colors. When describing LCD/LED TVs, both actually use LCDs, but the ones labelled LED use LEDs to create the light.

What's the different between a LED HDTV and LCD HDTV?

They're pretty much the same! LED High Definition TVs just have a newer backlight system, "Light Emitting Diodes," while LCDs uses older fluorescent lamps.

Is an LED or LCD television better?

An LED TV is just a form of an LCD TV. An LED TV is better because it saves energy and it is known to be brighter & last longer than a regular LCD

What is a LCD television and what is a led television?

LCD TV is a TV set that uses liquid-crystal display technology to produce images. LED (Light Emitting Diode) TV is a combination of 2 technologies, LED & LCD.

LCD and LED

• LCD TV gets its name from the liquid-crystal diodes that create the picture. Traditionally, LCD TVs used cathode fluorescent lamps behind the screen to light the image. This light is called the backlight, and its brightness controls the brightness of the LCD screen. LED stands for "light emitting diode," and LED is a replacement for CFL -- not LCD. In fact, LED TVs are LCD TVs with a different kind of backlight. The distinction is important for two reasons: LED TVs are, as of May 2011, more expensive than standard LCD TVs; and LED picture quality is usually better than standard LCD TVs with a CFL backlight.
Therefore, LED HDTV is not 100% LED and it still uses LCD technology.

OLED HDTV is 100% organic LED. (FYI, LG's 55-inch OLED unveiled at CES weighs 16.5 pounds and is about as deep as a pencil (3/16 of an inch).)

What is OLED TV? | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

LED vs. OLED
As we've discussed before, current televisions marketed as "LED TVs" aren't actually LED TVs. They're LCD TVs that use LEDs for the backlight. While LED LCDs are energy efficient compared with "regular" LCDs and plasmas, they're still not as energy efficient as OLED. As far as the difference between LEDs and OLEDs, the latter uses materials that include carbon ("organic") to create light when supplied a current. In an extremely oversimplified and generalized explanation, LEDs are like tiny light bulbs, while OLEDs are light-emitting areas or surfaces.

I hope you get it. And the longer it's on, the shorter life span - that's a fact.

My dog seems interested. He wants to know if the content for mature audiences will be password protected.
If it's password protected, it's because you set it up. You can disable it in the setting on your receiver if that would make your dog happy. ;)

If it's password protected, it's because you set it up. You can disable it in the setting on your receiver if that would make your dog happy. ;)

Woof!...So ur pampered pooch can watch TV all day and eat beef jerky....Scooby Doo might be a favorite...or Rin Tin Tin....maybe even the Westminister Dog Show....if he's a male...he'd get an eyeful of some eye candy!....:giggle:

Therefore, LED HDTV is not 100% LED and it still uses LCD technology.

OLED HDTV is 100% organic LED. (FYI, LG's 55-inch OLED unveiled at CES weighs 16.5 pounds and is about as deep as a pencil (3/16 of an inch).)

What is OLED TV? | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

I hope you get it. And the longer it's on, the shorter life span - that's a fact.

It doesn't matter - I call LED HDTV.

I have LED monitor on for many hours (around 12 hours per day) and don't have any problem.

Yesterday, I left TV on for 17 hours.

CP is making a mountain out of a molehill - LED HDTV is LED HDTV.

i hope no poor cat passing tv when it on..dogs do most things by smell so if dog cocks his leg on tv then owners not moan..are they going to have programmes about chopping balls off dog love that

Yesterday, I left TV on for 17 hours.

CP is making a mountain out of a molehill - LED HDTV is LED HDTV.
Oh man, you are driving me crazy.

Didn't you read your TV manual?

How long will your LCD/LED TV last?

For example, it lasts 100,000 hours (= 5 years as long as it's on for 8 hrs per day, 7 days per week, 365 days per year), therefore, if it's on for 16 hrs per day everyday, it would last half of 5 years. In other words, your TV's life span depends on how much you use it. No difference from other technologies such as a microwave, computer, car, lawn mower, vacuum cleaner, fan, etc.

As for energy, of course LED uses less energy than CFL.

LED HDTV is LED HDTV.
:nono:

"LED TVs" aren't actually LED TVs. They're LCD TVs that use LEDs for the backlight.

My HDTV automatically turns itself off if no one is watching it for 30 minutes using a programmable timer for power saving.

End of discussion! If you don't mind, I gotta go and drink :beer:.

Last edited:
Oh man, you are driving me crazy.

Didn't you read your TV manual?

How long will your LCD/LED TV last?

For example, it lasts 100,000 hours (= 5 years as long as it's on for 8 hrs per day, 7 days per week, 365 days per year), therefore, if it's on for 16 hrs per day everyday, it would last half of 5 years. In other words, your TV's life span depends on how much you use it. No difference from other technologies such as a microwave, computer, car, lawn mower, vacuum cleaner, fan, etc.

As for energy, of course LED uses less energy than CFL.

:nono:

"LED TVs" aren't actually LED TVs. They're LCD TVs that use LEDs for the backlight.

My HDTV automatically turns itself off if no one is watching it for 30 minutes using a programmable timer for power saving.

End of discussion! If you don't mind, I gotta go and drink :beer:.

That's political correctness. :ugh:

You rant at us about subtitles and CC.

I have to give a special statement for you.

For all members: I love my LED HDTV. :cool2:

For CrazyPaul: I love my LCD HDTV. :ugh:

Back