Depression...

leeann

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Leeann. I am 35 and I have profound sensorinural hearing loss in both ears. My hearing loss began at the age of 11 after being given a high does of antibiotics. My hearing loss has gradually progressed over the years. I wear hearing aids and they do help but understanding speech is getting to the point that it is impossible. I do read lips but that is difficult. I do not sign. I am married and have 2 kids. They get frustrated with me and often will say "never mind" after I have asked them to repeat themselves several times. I am lonely. I feel like I am falling into a depression. This feeling has sent me on an internet search for something like this, where dear and hard of hearing can talk about issues we are experiencing. So I am excited to have found something. Has anyone had the overwhelming feeling of depression, feeling left out, unsure what to do in social situations when you have no idea what anyone is talking about, it's a very isolating situation. Thanks for reading my post and any comments you may have.

are you American or uk...oh yes I do have overwhelming depression many times many deaf do.

Hi, I'm Leeann. I am 35 and I have profound sensorinural hearing loss in both ears. My hearing loss began at the age of 11 after being given a high does of antibiotics. My hearing loss has gradually progressed over the years. I wear hearing aids and they do help but understanding speech is getting to the point that it is impossible. I do read lips but that is difficult. I do not sign. I am married and have 2 kids. They get frustrated with me and often will say "never mind" after I have asked them to repeat themselves several times. I am lonely. I feel like I am falling into a depression. This feeling has sent me on an internet search for something like this, where dear and hard of hearing can talk about issues we are experiencing. So I am excited to have found something. Has anyone had the overwhelming feeling of depression, feeling left out, unsure what to do in social situations when you have no idea what anyone is talking about, it's a very isolating situation. Thanks for reading my post and any comments you may have.

:welcome:
Just stick around, you came to the right place. You'll be amazed at how many others experience what you are going through. The more you talk about it, the more it helps.

Welcome, here is quote that I just found and think it applies to everybody. I think this quote is excellent one for everybody.

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.
be kind.
Always.

Welcome, here is quote that I just found and think it applies to everybody. I think this quote is excellent one for everybody.

Everyone you meet is a fighting a battle you know nothing about.
be kind.
Always.

I like that

Only few AD members knows what I have been though in the last 4 years. It was the worst battle I ever experienced, hopefully I will recover from that battle. I am now at the point of realize that I am not alone. Of course, I put some shit on others and not realize that they went though the same hell and I do feel bad about it.

Think positive, losing hearing is not equal to "The end of the world". I know it is hard, but look at brighter side, I was old enough to remember the days of being Deaf with ZERO access (TTY, Captions, VRS, etc). Technically back then TTY was only the beginning and not many Deafies can afford high priced TTY machines so the younger Deafies the less chance they got TTY back then.

How old are your kids , if they enough to write ,you could tell them write down what they said and tell them NOT to say " never mind " to you. I would not let my daughter do that to me. Have you thought of learning ASL with your kids? And please do not let anyone tell you that it "All in your head and snap out of it" There are people that you can just snap out of depression and they're wrong. You could also have your type what they on your computer. It may help to find see your doctor and have them find someone you can talk for support, will your husband tell what your kids had said when you can't understand them? I am sorry to hear you're having a hard time.

Hey Leean, I am glad you found this place. Consider this place your online home. Welcome and enjoy your stay.

Sent from my iPod touch using AllDeaf

You diehard, diehard biker DIEHARD!,! I'm with you brother!!! Ain't done yet!, bring it on!!,
To the op
Welcome to all deaf. You are NOT ALONE!
While I'm not depressed and my life is ......wicked as usual....I've been through some rough and tumble patches.....
But I'm not the depressed type I offer a welcome....

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

Welcome!

Only few AD members knows what I have been though in the last 4 years. It was the worst battle I ever experienced, hopefully I will recover from that battle. I am now at the point of realize that I am not alone. Of course, I put some shit on others and not realize that they went though the same hell and I do feel bad about it.

Think positive, losing hearing is not equal to "The end of the world". I know it is hard, but look at brighter side, I was old enough to remember the days of being Deaf with ZERO access (TTY, Captions, VRS, etc). Technically back then TTY was only the beginning and not many Deafies can afford high priced TTY machines so the younger Deafies the less chance they got TTY back then.

I have TDD (TTY) here and still use it all the time when I am doing the relay to hearing people or directly contact Deaf people. I have been using it for many, many years. Never grow tire of it. Not able to get use to Videophone. I am just an old Elder who does not want to change much, just a little. :)

LeeAnn.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

Depression? I never feel anything like that in my life. Hope this forum de-stress you. Stay positive.

Back