Deaf & dumb, busiest watch repairer in town

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Deaf & dumb, busiest watch repairer in town - Newindpress.com

He can’t hear the clock tick-tocking but can repair it the moment he lays his hands on it. Though deaf and dumb since birth, he is one of the busiest watch repairers in Kendrapara town today.

Meet Girija Mekap (44) of Badahat village, who took two years to learn the art of repairing watches, but then there was no looking back for him.

‘‘When I allowed Girija to work in my shop at the Old Bus-Stand six years back, many customers asked me not to allow a deaf and dumb person to repair watches. But within two years, he turned out to be the most sincere and popular mechanic in the shop,’’ said Mohammed Sabid. owner of a watch shop here.

For Girija, it was a dream come true to earn his own livelihood. His uncle Bhaguli Mekap admitted that the entire family wanted him to stand on his own feet. ‘‘We could not believe it when we were told that our son Girija has managed a job as a watch mechanic in Kendrapara,’’ said Santilata Mekap, Girija’s mother.

Girija, who had studied up to Class VII, had to drop out from school after the untimely death of his father Kanhucharana Mekap in 1971. His father was also a watch mechanic in Kendrapara. And, Girija had developed an interest for the work by watching his father since childhood.

He had been running from pillar to post to get a job but his disability was an impediment. ‘‘Thanks to Mohammed Sabir, today, he is earning about Rs. 3000 a month,’’ said Tutua Mekap, a nephew of Girija.

Although Girija has been lucky, there are many like him who are leading a life of hell. Ten years after enactment of the Disabilities Act, which promised the disabled three percent reservation in government jobs, many are deprived of the fruits of this landmark law.

Though the Act has far-reaching provisions, not much has been done about its implementation, said Kalakar Mishra, a human rights activist.

‘‘The solution lies in educating the disabled about their rights’’, added Mishra.

I know many deafies in Europe who repair watch & clock. One of my good friends use to work for clock factory with other deaf man. Deaf man design the clocks, watch, etc. Its about their own moviation... I really don't understand why anyone think deaf can't do anything... but beleive that CI or HA itself help them to develop with their sucessful which is not true... *sigh*

Back