DahliaRose

DahliaRose

Reaction score
Hi I am DahliaRose. I am 26 years old and trying to learn sign. My goal is to one day teach special ed.

welcome:wave:

stick around and learn about perspectives on Special Ed. and Deaf Ed. - two different things-

Agreed,.....sped and deaf ed are two completely different things.....Why is it that we all have these girls coming in and going that they want to teach ASL to "speshal needs" kids? ASL is a LANGAUGE. Sometimes kids with mental handicaps and autism use sign, but they don't use it as a LANUGAGE...they use it more as an alternative and augmentive communication method!

Why don't we ever hear of girls who want to learn Braille so they can teach special ed?

Why don't we ever hear of girls who want to learn Braille so they can teach special ed?
That's a fair point actually!
I've always wondered if anyone even teaches Braille :S I'd love to learn, have never seen any classes for it though, odd

That's a fair point actually!
I've always wondered if anyone even teaches Braille :S I'd love to learn, have never seen any classes for it though, odd

They're trying to push it in the blind population. Did you know that Braille hasn't been popular in blind ed? They were pushing books on tape and use of residual vision. But just random Braille classes are kinda weird.....

They're trying to push it in the blind population. Did you know that Braille hasn't been popular in blind ed? They were pushing books on tape and use of residual vision. But just random Braille classes are kinda weird.....
o_O wow, I'd imagine Braille to be one of the most popular things in blind ed

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Yep, there are two different perspectives in Special Ed. and Deaf Ed.. I don't go for Special Ed. as it is aim at mainstream schools (no ASL allow except maybe a few mainstream schools allow ASL). Deaf Ed. much better.

I hope you enjoy reading plus learning about our Deaf and Hard Of Hearing perspectives and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

o_O wow, I'd imagine Braille to be one of the most popular things in blind ed

It wasn't. My friend went to Perkins in the '90's and never got a chance to learn Braille! The blind schools are trying to push it now, since there's a corralation between Braille literacy and high employment, but unfortunatly thanks to mainstreaming, its been really hard to reach mainstreamed kids, especially since there aren't even a lot of Sight Saving classrooms (blind/low vision version of dhh self contained programs) anymore.

Welcome to AD. :wave: If you need any help getting around, just ask. Though I myself find it rather easy. :) I'm new as well, I just joined a couple days ago.

It wasn't. My friend went to Perkins in the '90's and never got a chance to learn Braille! The blind schools are trying to push it now, since there's a corralation between Braille literacy and high employment, but unfortunatly thanks to mainstreaming, its been really hard to reach mainstreamed kids, especially since there aren't even a lot of Sight Saving classrooms (blind/low vision version of dhh self contained programs) anymore.
Well that's not good :(

Well that's not good :(

It's not all bad. I was a marching assistant for the Ohio School for the Blind marching band for a couple of years. The school does involve some visual things, including the classes. But mostly it is a basic school. I was allowed to venture into the Ohio School for the Deaf half of the building (they are connected). I was amazed to see how much of a difference there was in both schools.

Back