Comfortably deaf forced hearing

Vydiathevoid

Reaction score
Hi my name is Vydia I am 22 years old I have always struggled to hear but it started quickly deteriorating at 10 years old I am now almost fully deaf but my family refuses to learn sign and there is no deaf community in this small part of NC I’ve never felt I belong anywhere I lip read and use hearing aids but I’m treated as an outsider in the hearing world but I’m worried I’m not deaf enough for the deaf world I have no knowledge on deaf culture due to having no choice but to learn English and to lip read I’m teaching myself ASL now but I have no one else who signs I am lonely and just want to communicate without feeling so confused exhausted and upset I want to belong and interact with friends please message me if you’d like to become friends especially if you’re Waynesville NC Asheville NC area thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpeg
    IMG_0030.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0637.jpeg
    IMG_0637.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 3
  • AF2ED9B2-A871-41F0-A17C-27569636E571.jpeg
    AF2ED9B2-A871-41F0-A17C-27569636E571.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 3
Welcome. Hope you find what you are looking for. Might want to consider moving to a place where there is a deaf community.

Welcome to AD! Could you clarify what you mean by "forced hearing term"? It sounds like you might be experiencing sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL). I’m also dealing with this issue, as my hearing has been deteriorating over the years.

Welcome to AD! Could you clarify what you mean by "forced hearing term"? It sounds like you might be experiencing sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL). I’m also dealing with this issue, as my hearing has been deteriorating over the years.
forced hearing meant no one ever tried any way to communicate or treat me other than as a hearing person no matter how much I asked them to learn sign language no matter how much I told them I don’t understand and I feel lonely so despite me trying to get access to communication to the ones I love they gave me no choice but to live a hearing life in a hearing world with no hearing of my own

Hi my name is Vydia I am 22 years old I have always struggled to hear but it started quickly deteriorating at 10 years old I am now almost fully deaf but my family refuses to learn sign and there is no deaf community in this small part of NC I’ve never felt I belong anywhere I lip read and use hearing aids but I’m treated as an outsider in the hearing world but I’m worried I’m not deaf enough for the deaf world I have no knowledge on deaf culture due to having no choice but to learn English and to lip read I’m teaching myself ASL now but I have no one else who signs I am lonely and just want to communicate without feeling so confused exhausted and upset I want to belong and interact with friends please message me if you’d like to become friends especially if you’re Waynesville NC Asheville NC area thank you
I am not from Waynesville NC Asheville NC area but, I would love to be friends, feel free to message me!

Maybe post a classified in you area to start an beginner hard of hearing ASL learning or support group. There has to be other hoh and deaf people around hidden in plain sight.

Going to a deaf educational institution is life changing for many. It certainly was for me. I went to OSD for high school and then NTID/ RIT for college. Went to Gallaudet for a semester as well, unfortunately the deaf studies really upset me. I had no idea I had that much repressed anger about being raised in a mainstream environment without peers I could easily communicate with in class or during extracurricular activities.

Alternatively consider moving to a big city, most have an ASL using community.

Maybe post a classified in you area to start an beginner hard of hearing ASL learning or support group. There has to be other hoh and deaf people around hidden in plain sight.

Going to a deaf educational institution is life changing for many. It certainly was for me. I went to OSD for high school and then NTID/ RIT for college. Went to Gallaudet for a semester as well, unfortunately the deaf studies really upset me. I had no idea I had that much repressed anger about being raised in a mainstream environment without peers I could easily communicate with in class or during extracurricular activities.

Alternatively consider moving to a big city, most have an ASL using community.
These are great suggestions thank you! I’m not sure if I’m currently angry about being raise mainstream but I know I’m definitely sad I want to have people around me who can communicate in a way I understand and want to communicate with me that way I’m sure once I get more exposure the sadness will turn to anger

These are great suggestions thank you! I’m not sure if I’m currently angry about being raise mainstream but I know I’m definitely sad I want to have people around me who can communicate in a way I understand and want to communicate with me that way I’m sure once I get more exposure the sadness will turn to anger
I want to have people around me who can communicate in a way I understand and want to communicate with me that way too, why do you think that once you get more exposure the sadness will turn to anger?

I want to have people around me who can communicate in a way I understand and want to communicate with me that way too, why do you think that once you get more exposure the sadness will turn to anger?
Usually when I’m sad once I get out of it I get angry at how it went before I heal as I way to say no I didn’t deserve that

Back