Cochlear implant without magnet

Mazikeenmayhem

Reaction score
My best friends daughter just had cochlear implant surgery she can’t get the magnet due to MRI’s she has to get frequently. Is there a way to pin it. Would a headband with holder work or should I get her a hairclip to hold it?

My best friends daughter just had cochlear implant surgery she can’t get the magnet due to MRI’s she has to get frequently. Is there a way to pin it. Would a headband with holder work or should I get her a hairclip to hold it?
It's the internal magnet (under the scalp) that can't be used in an MRI machine. Each manufacturer has different protocols for how she MIGHT be able to get MRIs. I'm assuming she has either Cochlear America's or Med-El's CI since Advanced Bionics latest implant is MRI compatible.

I have Advanced Bionics. One ear has the new MRI compatible magnet and the other ear does not. The other ear can either be bandaged (specifically with AB's bandage and strict instructions) or have the magnet (only the magnet) surgically removed before the MRI and replaced after the MRI.

They need to discuss with her CI surgeon how to deal with this. Did the clinic not know she gets frequent MRIs?

I believe Cochlear America is able to have MRI done also. The magnet is removable and also has a head wrap procedure.

Back