Coca Cola employees fired for using reward promotions

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Source: Benicia Coke plant workers say firings were unfair - ContraCostaTimes.com

BENICIA — More than a dozen longtime employees of Benicia's Coca-Cola facility have been fired, some say for participating in a promotion they were encouraged to join.

One 11-year employee said the company first told workers not to take part in the "My Coke Rewards" merchandise promotion. But six months later, "we were told we should sign up because the Web site wasn't getting enough hits," said Frank Grant, 36. The Cotati, a distribution supervisor, said he was let go about a week ago.

Promotion participants collect points redeemable for merchandise like T-shirts, barbecues and gift cards, Grant said.

Evidently, the small print, which Grant acknowledged he did not read, prohibits employees from redeeming more than 2,000 points per year, and he exceeded the limit. When he learned it was not allowed, he offered to return the merchandise or repay its value, he said.

"They told me I had to pay back all of it, not just the portion over 2,000 points, or they'd pursue criminal action, but, since I was honest and had been a good employee, they'd give me the option of resigning or being terminated," Grant said.

"My feeling is that they told us to participate and didn't fully explain the rules. They could have given us some warning."

A company spokesman denied the former employees were mistreated, but he said he could offer no specifics about why they were no longer working at Coca-Cola.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a shame no one should lose their job over something like that.

Maybe the workers didn't look at employee's handbook that explain everything. Or even the reward promotion's fine print.

I've always known that a person working for the corporation/company that offers "freebies" cannot participate in the promotion.

Obviously, this safeguards the promotion against "fix" accusations.

If they have Coke's request that employees participate in the promotion in writing (i.e., black and white), then they have a case.

Otherwise, I'd be hesitant to participate in my company's promotion(s) because it's always forbidden.

I've always known that a person working for the corporation/company that offers "freebies" cannot participate in the promotion.

Obviously, this safeguards the promotion against "fix" accusations.

If they have Coke's request that employees participate in the promotion in writing (i.e., black and white), then they have a case.

Otherwise, I'd be hesitant to participate in my company's promotion(s) because it's always forbidden.
I agree. This is something that's common sense.

You can't participate in things that you work for.

:ty: SG for fixing my first post :)

Yeah, those long time employees should have known it's not allowed to participate in promotions. Whether Coca Cola tricked them into participate, and/or fine print was put in wrong place that makes easier to overlook. They didn't get all the facts til it's too late and they all lost the job and they can't have a case against them either.

Being a regular competition entrant, I thought it was common knowledge that employees do not enter their own workplace promotions/competitions.

That rule has been around for "donkey's years".

Second that! If worker win against the Coca-Cola Company, I will boycott
Coca-cola for more losing money. Now, I hate Coca-Cola, these days of Coke
is now crappy taste. Pepsi is best when I using with ice cubes! Pepsi rocks!

Back