City: 'Worst Air Quality In 35 Years'

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Authorities Urge People To Stay Inside, Avoid Strenuous Activity

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The man who oversees air quality monitoring for the city of Jacksonville said that particulate levels at noon Wednesday went "off the chart."

For the third day in a row, the Jacksonville’s Environmental and Compliance Department monitors show Wednesday's air quality is unhealthy as smoke from massive wildfires in southeast Georgia continues to shroud the area in a thick haze. [COJ's Air Quality Index]

"We have not experienced this in the time I've been here, and I've been with the agency for 35 years," Steve Pace told Channel 4. "You don't want people breathing it. It's a fine particulate, not the ash you see floating down."

Pace said that while Wednesday's noon reading was higher than he'd ever seen, the level dropped in the afternoon to merely unhealthy.

Pace said that while Wednesday's noon reading was higher than he'd ever seen, the level dropped in the afternoon to merely unhealthy.

Particulate matter is one of only six things measured to assess air quality, but it is considered the most troublesome because it gets deepest into the lungs.

Video: Residents Cope With Smoke In Air
Smoke In Hospitals, Nursing Homes
iShot News Images: Fire, Smoke, Ash

The smoke is complicated by weather conditions that are driving temperatures near 100 degrees, and the humidity was also high.

Channel 4 chief meteorologist John Gaughan said the weather pattern should change about noon Thursday, pushing the smoke further inland and helping clear the air from the beaches through downtown.

City officials urged children, the elderly and sensitive individuals to take steps to avoid exposure by staying inside or refraining from strenuous outdoor activity. Any outdoor activities should be planned for times when particulate levels are lower.

Dr. Jose Irazuzta with the pediatric critical care unit of Wolfson Children's Hospital said they have treated a large number of children with asthma who are struggling to breathe.

"If your child has any propensity for asthma or bronchitis, you should check with your doctor. It may be a good time to start a treatment before the symptoms happen," Irazuzta said. "Try to keep the children playing indoors. Keep the air conditioners running. Please check your filters.

The Clay and St. Johns County health departments have also issued health advisories because of smoke in the area.

Irazuzta said spending time outside in these conditions is like spending an evening in a smoky bar.

SLIDESHOW:
Smoky Scenes Downtown

"It's pretty much the same respiratory challenge than if you go outside and start working on the yard or start running," Irazuzta said.

For those who are especially sensitive to the smoke, wearing a mask may be helpful. Medical experts urge people to avoid the smoke by limiting exposure outdoors.

Wolfson, as well as Baptist Medical Center, are measuring the air quality within the hospital to ensure the health of patients. While carbon monoxide levels are measuring below dangerous levels, the hospitals are putting mobile HEPA filters in its intensive care unit rooms as a precaution.

"It was really bad. I couldn't see the tops of buildings downtown. (I) couldn't step outside," said Matt Dangelantonio.

Visibility on Wednesday morning at Jacksonville International Airport was down to one-quarter mile; a half-mile of visibility was reported at Cecil Field. Visibility also improved in the afternoon.

The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office issued a driving alert Wednesday afternoon, urging motorist to drive with caution, leaving low-beam lights on, keeping speed down and using the painted road markings on the right edge of the road as a guide.

City: 'Worst Air Quality In 35 Years' - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville

She lives in W. Palm Beach...I live in Jacksonville...3 days now, it's been pretty bad here...went out late evening, and my eyes watered so much and the coughing. It's best to stay in with the air conditioning.

She lives in W. Palm Beach...I live in Jacksonville...3 days now, it's been pretty bad here...went out late evening, and my eyes watered so much and the coughing. It's best to stay in with the air conditioning.

Ah, my mistake. Thank you for the correction. I hope the air clears up soon down there. Has it affected those who are vacationing down there, no? I've wanted to see Jacksonville, but I'm not sure if I am willing to burn my lungs out to do it. :shock: I wonder if it is as bad as Los Angeles' air quality. I hear they have the poorest air quality of the United States.

Ah, my mistake. Thank you for the correction. I hope the air clears up soon down there. Has it affected those who are vacationing down there, no? I've wanted to see Jacksonville, but I'm not sure if I am willing to burn my lungs out to do it. :shock: I wonder if it is as bad as Los Angeles' air quality. I hear they have the poorest air quality of the United States.

it was just horrible this AM when I let my doggie out for her business...very hazy on the river, and I had to cover my mouth and nose from the smoke....so another day of this. You can even "taste" it outside. I've yet to see any "smut" falling tho'....as it did years ago when there were so many wild fires...so today, will continue to stay inside.

Am thiking about the animals outside....

Wednesday was the worst The AQ was hazardous. Going across the Buckman Bridge on I-295 was hell!! Could not even see 50 foot in front of me. Yesterday (Thursday) Was much better the rain washed out a lot of the smoke and the air quality in J-ville went to moderate. I see ashes all over my car. Last Wednesday it looked like it was snowing in J-ville ashes floating everywhere!! We need more rain but can do without the thunderstorms. Each time we get one.. lightning egnites new fires!!! Need a huge slow moving tropical depression to soak the ground.

It's nothing new for Florida either. Dry season with the "Florida Brand" Thunderstorms. Plenty of lightning and not enough rain. Lightning egnited most of these fires. It is nature way of clearing out the shrubbery. Guess they will not have to do as many prescribe burns this year.

And Georgia keeps on a'burnin'....225,000 acres at the Okenofekie Swamp...(dang, I could never spell it right)...it looks very overcast here....dunno if it's the smoke (which is probably is)...or if it's gonna rain.

225,000 Acres Burning In 3 Ga. Counties
Fire Growing Rapidly West Of Waycross Reminds Firefighters Of '07 Blaze

WAYCROSS, Ga. -- Arid winds continue to spread wildfires across thousands of acres in counties around the Okefenokee Swamp this week as hundreds of firefighters try to keep the flames away from rural homes.

In addition to the four large fires, about 15 smaller blazes started Thursday, likely caused by lightning strikes.

One fire burning since Wednesday forced about 60 evacuations in Ware County as it raced over eight square miles -- more than 5,000 acres -- on Thursday.

The blaze was still burning out of control between U.S. highways 82 and 84 -- about five miles west of Waycross -- but those evacuated in Ware County were allowed to return to their homes Thursday.

Georgia 122 remains closed to all but emergency traffic. Manor Millwood Road also remains closed.

Georgia Forestry Commission spokesman Eric Mosley said the blaze was being called the Sweat Farm Again Fire, named after the 2007 fire that began in the same area and grew to 600,000 acres before weather patterns changed and rain eventually helped firefighters get control of the fire.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video:
Firefight Continues Across SE Georgia
Wildfires Closing In On Homes
Wildfire Threatening Homes, Jobs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More Online: Honey Prairie Complex Information

Meanwhile in neighboring Charlton County, where the Racepond Fire jumped containment lines again Thursday to burn an additional 4,500 acres and merged with a fire burning in Brantley County, firefighters staged along U.S. Highway 1 hoping to stop the blaze from spreading. This fire has burned about 23 square miles since it began on May 25.

A staging area was opened in the gym at Charlton County High School where firefighters could get food, water and rest. Officials said there is a constant flow of volunteers coming in to feed the firefighters and asked anyone who wants to donate to the effort to give to the Salvation Army.

iShot Photo by JeanetteYoung
Residents of Corbett Road near Manor are on standby to leave if the wind shifts.

Georgia Highway 121 remained closed from Racepond in Charlton County to Hoboken in Brantley County. About 25 homes in southern Brantley County remain evacuated on Friday morning.

Homeowner Denny Alvarez is back in his Racepond home, which he credits firefighters for saving while he was evacuated on Tuesday night.

"They said (the fire) came over our house, and the firefighters fought it fiercely," Alvarez said.

To the east, a fire in northern Camden County that has burned 1,400 acres east of U.S. Highway 1 and just north of Waverly and destroyed two mobile homes was 90 percent contained by Friday morning.

The other fires are dwarfed by fires that have merged into one massive blaze that has burned 318 square miles mostly on federal property within the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge. The Honey Prairie Fire, started by a lightning strike at the end of April, has consumed about half of the massive refuge.

This fire was considered 49 percent contained Friday morning, down substantially from 80 percent containment on Wednesday. Employees of the refuge were pulled out on Thursday.

SOUTHEAST GEORGIA FIRES:
Map Of Honey Prairie And Racepond Fires

A total of 495 personnel, six helicopters, 69 engines, seven bulldozers and 10 water tenders are fighting the fire under the unified command of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Georgia Division of Forestry and the Florida Division of Forestry.

"Fires are worsening and becoming a cause for major concerns," said Ken Davis, a spokesman for the Georgia Emergency Management Agency. "We strongly urge people to prepare now to be able to leave their residences within an hour's notice."

Georgia is facing its busiest wildfire season in years. More than 530 have been reported statewide since June 1, when the season is typically winding down.

But severe drought conditions have left forests and swampland alike dry as tinder. Scattered thunderstorms in southeast Georgia have largely hurt more than they've helped, bringing little rain but plenty of wind and lightning.

Firefighters with bulldozers and hoses had barely begun to contain the wildfire Thursday and reinforcements were pouring in from across the state.

"We've got lots of resources," said incident management team member Marybell Lunsford. "But I'm not sure we have as many as we'd like to have."

Local and volunteer fire departments had crews ready to protect homes most in danger of being threatened by the fire's path, said Jonathan Daniel, Ware County's emergency management director.

"We've had fire trucks and personnel sitting on people's houses up close and personal," Daniel said.

The Hamilton family lives less than five miles from the Racepond Fire. They hope to stick around, trusting hundreds of workers laying fire lines to protect properties like his. But they also know they may have to evacuate.

"Until they make us leave, then we'll just be right here," said John Hamilton. "Just pray and ask God to help us."

Firefighters believe it could be quite some time before the fire is out. They want people across the area to be ready in case they need to evacuate because these fires may continue to burn until the weather pattern changes and brings substantial rainfall.

"(We need) a good tropical low pressure system to sit on it for a few days, but other than that, inside the swamp, we're not going to get it out, I don't believe," said Bruce Prudhomme, incident management team member.

225,000 Acres Burning In 3 Ga. Counties - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville

There is a large fire in St Johns county as well as Flagler County and Putnam County in Fl
The worst fires are in the Okefenokee swamp. It has been going on Since mid April... They had it over 40 Percent contained at one time. It flaired out of control again last week.

Our air has cleared up some, but there are still wildfires going on near here. Every time we have rain in the forecast, it never does. I think in my area, we have had a whopping .25 inches in the last 12 weeks. City of WPB is now on a severe mandatory water restriction, Town of Haverhill (where I live) is on just mandatory water restrictions and now, the city of WPB has said that they only have 15 days of fresh water available. Creeks, canals, ponds and lakes are all drying up. All outdoor water fountains have been shut off. The city landscape workers are not allowed to do any watering at all. Everyone is worried big time about the lightening fires and Loxahatchee is prone to have them. We shall see. It's amazing that Hurricane season has started and we are not getting any rain.

Our air has cleared up some, but there are still wildfires going on near here. Every time we have rain in the forecast, it never does. I think in my area, we have had a whopping .25 inches in the last 12 weeks. City of WPB is now on a severe mandatory water restriction, Town of Haverhill (where I live) is on just mandatory water restrictions and now, the city of WPB has said that they only have 15 days of fresh water available. Creeks, canals, ponds and lakes are all drying up. All outdoor water fountains have been shut off. The city landscape workers are not allowed to do any watering at all. Everyone is worried big time about the lightening fires and Loxahatchee is prone to have them. We shall see. It's amazing that Hurricane season has started and we are not getting any rain.

Hurricane season peak is usually in August. :) I am sure we will have plenty of rain soon. Rainy season is right around the corner. Hoping it will hit sooner than later.

"Supposed" to rain all this week, or some showers....am happy to hear that!...I'm still coughing whenever I have to go out, and the air quality this AM seemed to be about the same, even tho' we did get a few showers last night.

I'm not one to look forward to the Hurricane season...but would rather deal with the wind and rain than deal with this air quality from the fires!

Back