CI and scuba diving

Daredevel7

Adrenaline Junky
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've never seen/heard anyone else talk about diving relatively deep with a CI. Only their assumptions on what is the deepest they can dive. So I just wanted to make the announcement that, last weekend, I went diving down 85 feet with a CI and everything came out fine. In fact, I could have sworn I heard better the next day..... ;)

This is the 2nd time I went diving that deep (more than 70 feet) with the CI. Actually, technically 2nd and 3rd time. I went on two separate dive trips, but in this single recent dive trip, I went down to more than 80 feet twice (two different locations).

Anyone else with a CI who went diving more than 60 feet?

Sounds like a fun, but probably short dive. How long did a tank last you going that deep? (30m is the Rec Diving limit, right? So, you basically went right down to the limit?)

Sounds like a fun, but probably short dive. How long did a tank last you going that deep? (30m is the Rec Diving limit, right? So, you basically went right down to the limit?)

Yep, half an hour on each dive. We had a long surface interval time. Air runs out relatively fast at that depth, so even if you stayed until air runs out, ignoring the limits, you probably wouldn't be able to stay more than 45 min. (Unless you do Nitrox...)

30 min was plenty to go around the circumference of the wreck for one of the dives. (Liberty wreck off of Destin, FL)

Yep, half an hour on each dive. We had a long surface interval time. Air runs out relatively fast at that depth, so even if you stayed until air runs out, ignoring the limits, you probably wouldn't be able to stay more than 45 min. (Unless you do Nitrox...)

30 min was plenty to go around the circumference of the wreck for one of the dives. (Liberty wreck off of Destin, FL)

Sounds like fun, but I prefer shallower dives (my best dive ever was 30-40 ft) cause you can stay on the floor forever without any sort of tech diving, which I'm not even licensed for (nitrox or double tanked).

What's the rationale behind there being a depth limit for CI users? Does the CI surgery create a cavity in your skull or something that can be damaged by the pressure? (I assume you wouldn't wear the CI processor during the dive, right?)

Cool. Where are you diving? Any good pics to show?

I wish... I need to buy an underwater camera but... $$$$$$. I dove off of Destin, FL recently.

Here is the next best thing:

Vortex_Springs_005cap.jpg

This was in Vortex Springs, FL. I was getting my Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty. Like my hat?

I wish... I need to buy an underwater camera but... $$$$$$. I dove off of Destin, FL recently.

Here is the next best thing:

Vortex_Springs_005cap.jpg

This was in Vortex Springs, FL. I was getting my Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty. Like my hat?

No gloves? Florida water must be nice and warm, lol. Is your snorkel also a light, or was that just from the flash/long exposure?

Sounds like fun, but I prefer shallower dives (my best dive ever was 30-40 ft) cause you can stay on the floor forever without any sort of tech diving, which I'm not even licensed for (nitrox or double tanked).

What's the rationale behind there being a depth limit for CI users? Does the CI surgery create a cavity in your skull or something that can be damaged by the pressure? (I assume you wouldn't wear the CI processor during the dive, right?)

I switch it up between shallow and deep dives. I usually go for deep dives if there is a wreck. The 2nd deep dive was kinda dumb because it was at a reef and we could easily have gone at a more shallow dive for a longer time at a reef that is just as good.

The pressure of the water can possibly crush the internal components of the CI. Cochlear validated that the internal components can withstand pressures at depths up to 82 feet. However, they said 99 feet before. Not sure why they say 82 feet now (perhaps with the newer processor?)... but frankly, I don't care. I'm sure there is a factor of safety implemented, so I CAN go 3 more feet.. ;)

Of course, I wouldn't be wearing the external processor during the dive. It's only the internal processor they are worried about.

No gloves? Florida water must be nice and warm, lol. Is your snorkel also a light, or was that just from the flash/long exposure?

I didn't feel like wearing gloves. It was a bit chilly. Probably 60s, but the wetsuit made me warm enough. I find the gloves very restricting. I like to touch things. That probably will bite me in the ass in the future when I touch something poisonous...

I switch it up between shallow and deep dives. I usually go for deep dives if there is a wreck. The 2nd deep dive was kinda dumb because it was at a reef and we could easily have gone at a more shallow dive for a longer time at a reef that is just as good.

Blah, you're just making me jealous because I've not been on a dive in a few years, now. :P

The pressure of the water can possibly crush the internal components of the CI. Cochlear validated that the internal components can withstand pressures at depths up to 82 feet. However, they said 99 feet before. Not sure why they say 82 feet now (perhaps with the newer processor?)... but frankly, I don't care. I'm sure there is a factor of safety implemented, so I CAN go 3 more feet.. ;)

I believe the technical term for why they changed it was "Coveringourassius". It's a legal term (and thus Latin). Where exactly does the CI sit once implanted? Inside the skull? Outside?

Also, I'm pretty sure you could wear one of these and it wouldn't get crushed, though:

830px-Bouncer_Rendered_Model.png

I didn't feel like wearing gloves. It was a bit chilly. Probably 60s, but the wetsuit made me warm enough. I find the gloves very restricting. I like to touch things. That probably will bite me in the ass in the future when I touch something poisonous...

What? No, bad! The oils on your skin are terrible for wrecks/corals.

I'm not able to go that deep. My ear pressure really kill me...

What year and model CI you have while go in deep sea?

I believe the technical term for why they changed it was "Coveringourassius". It's a legal term (and thus Latin). Where exactly does the CI sit once implanted? Inside the skull? Outside?

What? No, bad! The oils on your skin are terrible for wrecks/corals.

:) I know silly. I don't even like to touch those WITH gloves. Hell, I don't even like to touch the floor because of the kicking up silt. You have no idea how many times Im like AGGRRAHH whenever I see people heavily weighted going so low and they leave this huge cloud of silt behind them whenever they kick.

I'm talking about picking up starfish, crabs, etc. Until one of them bites me, then I'll learn my lesson... ;)

:) I know silly. I don't even like to touch those WITH gloves. Hell, I don't even like to touch the floor because of the kicking up silt. You have no idea how many times Im like AGGRRAHH whenever I see people heavily weighted going so low and they leave this huge cloud of silt behind them whenever they kick.

I'm talking about picking up starfish, crabs, etc. Until one of them bites me, then I'll learn my lesson... ;)

Watch it. Don't make fun of me.

That's cool you do these things.

Watch it. Don't make fun of me.

That's cool you do these things.

lol!!! That took me a while to figure out.

Let me clarify, heavily weighted does not mean a heavy person. Scuba divers have a weight belt to keep them neutral due to their buoyancy compensator (BC) and wetsuit. If a person is sinking, they have too much weight. This can be easily corrected by inflating their BC a little. I'm not sure if they forgot to inflate their BC, or their BC is fully inflated and the weight belt just has too much weight.

NO EXCUSE ANYWAY!!!! There is an easy way to check once you jump into the water. You can ask for more weight or give the people on the boat your excess weight.

I've never seen/heard anyone else talk about diving relatively deep with a CI. Only their assumptions on what is the deepest they can dive. So I just wanted to make the announcement that, last weekend, I went diving down 85 feet with a CI and everything came out fine. In fact, I could have sworn I heard better the next day..... ;)

This is the 2nd time I went diving that deep (more than 70 feet) with the CI. Actually, technically 2nd and 3rd time. I went on two separate dive trips, but in this single recent dive trip, I went down to more than 80 feet twice (two different locations).

Anyone else with a CI who went diving more than 60 feet?

Awesome and Congrats for courageous! :)

lol!!! That took me a while to figure out.

Let me clarify, heavily weighted does not mean a heavy person. Scuba divers have a weight belt to keep them neutral due to their buoyancy compensator (BC) and wetsuit. If a person is sinking, they have too much weight. This can be easily corrected by inflating their BC a little. I'm not sure if they forgot to inflate their BC, or their BC is fully inflated and the weight belt just has too much weight.

NO EXCUSE ANYWAY!!!! There is an easy way to check once you jump into the water. You can ask for more weight or give the people on the boat your excess weight.

Gotcha. Thats something new for me to learn. That does suck if they are digging up silt.

Oh, me too. Nothing can ruin a good dive like some idiot stirring up the ocean floor and cutting the visibility down to nothing.

Haha, the last time I tried petting an animal while diving, it swam away. Prolly cause it was a shark, lol.

Yeah, someone with either too much or not enough weight is just being lazy.

One of the things I like to do in my life. With or without CI. Glad to see you having fun!!

Back