Choosing from Single Sided Deafness SSD hearing aid options

Tommy Data

Reaction score
Hoping to find out how others have dealt with single sided deafness.
I actually have had this since a young child, but now at age 60 my good ear is not so good.
I will need some sort of hearing aid, it is really affecting me at work. I am a software engineer, and often attend meetings in conference rooms.

I had used a Telex wireless CROS in the late 80s, but didn't like it:
- CRT monitors caused interference, so couldn't use it much of the time at work.
- the earpiece in my good ear impacted that hearing too much.
But now we have LCD monitors and I will probably have an earpiece in my good ear anyway.

These are the options I know of:
- an aid for my good ear only. (my insurance will cover this, probably none of the other options)
- BICROS hearing aid.
- BAHA bone attached hearing aid.
Not sure if I would go through the surgery.
My current insurance does not cover, outrageously expensive.
Sounds like Medicare would cover. So I could do something else for 4 years until Medicare could kick in.
- Soundbite. I have not hear enough of peoples experience with this. Possibly would be within my price range. Is it less than $2000? Only one provider in my area.
- Do they still make the aids that are part of your glasses? Probably would only do if they could attach to my own glasses.

How have others dealt with this?
Any thoughts or experiences are very welcome!

Interesting that I have been pretty adjusted to SSD for 55+ years. Now with probably mild hearing loss in my good ear, I am very frustrated.

Thank you

See if you can get a trial of a BiCROS - they're MUCH better than they used to be (Phonak makes good ones).

There is also a softband BAHA that you might want to try - at least then you can say you tried it! Also , there are people who never have the BAHA surgically implanted, they just use the softband.

Thank you, Anij.
A couple of very good thoughts, and lifted my spirits too. It's encouraging to hear that the CROS technology has improved.

I was surprised to find that I could find my old CROS (not BiCROS) aids. AND that the type of batteries can still be easily found (675). Not because I would use these permanently, but to remind myself of what I did and did not like about them. Wearing them now without the batteries, and the earpieces are not as uncomfortable as I remembered them.

Thank you, Anij.
A couple of very good thoughts, and lifted my spirits too. It's encouraging to hear that the CROS technology has improved.

I was surprised to find that I could find my old CROS (not BiCROS) aids. AND that the type of batteries can still be easily found (675). Not because I would use these permanently, but to remind myself of what I did and did not like about them. Wearing them now without the batteries, and the earpieces are not as uncomfortable as I remembered them.

I was born in the 70s with SSD (+120db deaf right side).
My hearing has changed over the years and I now have mild/mod (sometimes severe, due to extreme flux) hearing loss on my left side as well. I also have APD which makes things a lot trickier to work with HA/Amplification wise.

CROS and BiCROS has come leaps and bounds over the last 10 years - and there are a lot more fitting options available now. BAHA likewise has had some very significant advancements in the last year or so (they now have a magnet option vs the original abutment/snap fitting).

The best advice I have is talk to a few different audiologists - especially ones who have a lot of experience working with CROS, BiCROS and BAHA ... they'll be able to give you real life fitting experience that many Audies just don't have.

I have been able to use my original CROS hearing aid this weekend, after it sat on the shelf for 25 years. Just doing this to get an idea of what I am looking at. Besides being really old technology, I need a BiCROS now.
One thing I notice is I get interference from wireless phones, remote controls, microwave oven, satellite receiver, etc.
Is it true that this is no longer a problem with current CROS hearing aids?
Thanks ...

Don't know about BiCros but I do know that hearing aids today still gets interference (buzzing etc) from electronics :( (more with computers, fluorescent lighting, maybe microwave I think...)

Thanks everyone.
I canceled my appointment for the BAHA consult, but then thought of asking my HR dept if there is a different policy that WOULD cover a BAHA. I could switch next year if that works out.

I am also looking for new audiologists (taking advice from Anij).
As part of that I started a new thread "How to find audiologists knowledgeable about Single Sided Deafness (SSD)?" in *Deaf Interests > Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants*, if you are interested.

I am completely deaf in my left ear and I have slight hearing loss in my right. I find it very difficult to work without wearing my phonak cros. I do, however, hate them. I refuse to wear them anywhere except for work ... I think I prefer the quiet over hearing all of that background noise! Mine seem to cut in and out whenever my goggles touch them and they tend to get tangled into the earloops on my mask. That being said, they make it possible for me to understand what is being said when my co-workers mouths are covered by a mask. Overall, for work: doable. For life: thumbs down.

rachie, we have the same level of hearing loss, and I have Phonak Nadia Q cros . I cannot live without mine although I will admit there are times when I want silence. I get very little interference (elevators only, so far). You may want to get a volume control, like a compilot. To loud, turn it down. That's what I do.

rachie, we have the same level of hearing loss, and I have Phonak Nadia Q cros . I cannot live without mine although I will admit there are times when I want silence. I get very little interference (elevators only, so far). You may want to get a volume control, like a compilot. To loud, turn it down. That's what I do.

Just had my audi do some updates to my software. .. what a difference! Thanks for making me rethink them. It's amazing how much better they are! :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Back