Certification

AquaBlue

Reaction score
How hard/easy is the NIC...the initial one (I think)?

Individuals who achieve the NIC level have passed the NIC Knowledge exam. They have also scored within the standard range of a professional interpreter on the interview and performance portions of the test.

Thanks!

I guess you mean the written knowledge test? I can't find the pass rates on the website anymore...they used to be there. I know that the pass rate for CI and CT was about 50-60%. That includes the written and the performance. I have heard that the pass rates are higher for the NIC written than the old GWT written.

There's very specific knowledge required, so it's highly recommended to take an ITP or some form of class before taking the test. I wouldn't recommend that someone who is fluent in ASL just sit for the test and hope to pass....I think that's how a lot of people fail. It's better to take the class first because then you're more likely to pass. :)

I guess you mean the written knowledge test? I can't find the pass rates on the website anymore...they used to be there. I know that the pass rate for CI and CT was about 50-60%. That includes the written and the performance. I have heard that the pass rates are higher for the NIC written than the old GWT written.

There's very specific knowledge required, so it's highly recommended to take an ITP or some form of class before taking the test. I wouldn't recommend that someone who is fluent in ASL just sit for the test and hope to pass....I think that's how a lot of people fail. It's better to take the class first because then you're more likely to pass. :)

You must pass the written exam with a 500 and above the top score would be 800. If you get 500 you passed! Anything below that you must try again :(

You must pass the written exam 500 and above the top score would be 800. If you get 500 you passed!
By pass rate I meant the number of people who successfully passed the test - so out of 100 people taking it, only 50-60 of them would pass, and 40-50 of them would not. :)

But is that first test (the "beginners" test I guess) easy/hard? It sounds hard to me.

But is that first test (the "beginners" test I guess) easy/hard? It sounds hard to me.
There's only one written test.

There are different levels of certification for the performance test.

RID - Testing & Testing Process

RID - Generalist

NIC
Individuals who achieve the NIC level have passed the NIC Knowledge exam. They have also scored within the standard range of a professional interpreter on the interview and performance portions of the test.

NIC Advanced
Individuals who achieved the NIC Advanced level have passed the NIC Knowledge exam; scored within the standard range of a professional interpreter on the interview portion; and scored within the high range on the performance portion of the test.

NIC Master
Individuals who achieved the NIC Master level have passed the NIC Knowledge exam. They have scored within the high range of a professional interpreter on both the interview and performance portions of the test.

Thank you Reba. I did go over the RID pages before posting this thread. I guess that what I want to know is what type of information, in generally, is asked (as an example) in the NIC (first one mentioned in Reba's post above) test.

I am kinda figuring all this out now. I would like to have a goal (a standard) for which to strive for as of today- the kind RIP sets for the beginning (would be) terp.

Question: Does one have to go through the first and second (advanced) RID examinations prior to taking the NIC Master test, or can one just take the Master test if he/she wants to? I'm just curious in regards to this question. I will not do it that way when my time comes...no way, not how. I'm going to go through all the steps when I am ready later on in the future.

Thanks! :)

Like Reba said, there's only one performance test. Everyone takes the same test. First you pass the written part, and yes it's hard. It should be taken very seriously.

Then there is a performance part. Again, everyone takes the same test. Some people who are good interpreters get the NIC Certified score. Some people who are VERY good interpreters get the NIC Advanced score. And the best interpreters, the absolute best of the best, get NIC Master. It's like getting a grade...you all take the same test, but some people get higher scores than others. NOT everyone passes though.

Both parts of the test are very difficult and many people are nervous about taking them even if they have been in an ITP full time for 2 years or more.

Why are those tests so stringent? I would figure that with the high demand for terps, that they would be a little lax with the grading process.

Does there exist a dummy sheet of the first test so students can get a general idea of what to expect? If not, what is a good first book designed to prepare for that first test?

Why are those tests so stringent? I would figure that with the high demand for terps, that they would be a little lax with the grading process.
Um...that would be like having the board for anesthesiologists be a little lax with THEIR grading process. It's not a popular specialty, and there is high demand for anesthesiologists. But they maintain strict evaluation procedures because, well, who wants to have a poorly skilled person managing their anesthesia during surgery? A little lax for interpreters? No way.

Well I thought that with all the need for terps today, that demand would over shadow such difficult examinations. It was just a thought. :)

I understand why they are difficult though.

Um...that would be like having the board for anesthesiologists be a little lax with THEIR grading process. It's not a popular specialty, and there is high demand for anesthesiologists. But they maintain strict evaluation procedures because, well, who wants to have a poorly skilled person managing their anesthesia during surgery? A little lax for interpreters? No way.

:gpost:

... I am kinda figuring all this out now. I would like to have a goal (a standard) for which to strive for as of today- the kind RIP sets for the beginning (would be) terp.
Before you take the written exam you should:

1. learn ASL

2. get an ITP degree

3. get the test study materials from RID

Take it one step at a time. Don't even worry about the test until you've gotten over the ASL hurdle.

...Does there exist a dummy sheet of the first test so students can get a general idea of what to expect? If not, what is a good first book designed to prepare for that first test?
There's a sample practice written test.

There are practice DVD's for the performance test.

Before you take the written exam you should:

1. learn ASL

2. get an ITP degree

3. get the test study materials from RID

Take it one step at a time. Don't even worry about the test until you've gotten over the ASL hurdle.

I'm just curious Reba. :)

Well I thought that with all the need for terps today, that demand would over shadow such difficult examinations. It was just a thought. :)

I understand why they are difficult though.

I'd personally rather have CART then a crummy interpreter ... my classes include some rather highly technical vocabulary, and the profs speak FAST (even if we ask them to slow down) ... in cases like that a crummy interpreter ends up being MORE of a disadvantage than a help - not to mention that my profs assume that with the interpreters am accurately able to follow and participate... not "kinda get the general jist of the class"

at this point i have to book 3-4 weeks in advance if I need an interpreter - CART is a little easier but still ... it's just something that I have to try and work with - at least I know that whomever I do get will be good !!!

I'd personally rather have CART then a crummy interpreter ... my classes include some rather highly technical vocabulary, and the profs speak FAST (even if we ask them to slow down) ... in cases like that a crummy interpreter ends up being MORE of a disadvantage than a help - not to mention that my profs assume that with the interpreters am accurately able to follow and participate... not "kinda get the general jist of the class"

at this point i have to book 3-4 weeks in advance if I need an interpreter - CART is a little easier but still ... it's just something that I have to try and work with - at least I know that whomever I do get will be good !!!

Too true. A lousy, unskilled terp does not belong in any situation, much less an academic one.

By pass rate I meant the number of people who successfully passed the test - so out of 100 people taking it, only 50-60 of them would pass, and 40-50 of them would not. :)

OOPSIE!

Some people who are good interpreters get the NIC Certified score. Some people who are VERY good interpreters get the NIC Advanced score. And the best interpreters, the absolute best of the best, get NIC Master.

Not entirely true.

NIC Certified = good interview, good performance
NIC Advanced = good interview, great performance
NIC Master = great interview, great performance

That's a VERY rudimentary explanation, but there isn't a higher performance cutting score for the Master versus the Advanced. The Advanced and Master levels can look the same, the only difference is that the NIC Master scored higher on his/her interview than the NIC Advanced.

Back