can a school restrict me

JulsNRuss

Reaction score
I had to have a stethoscope ordered special and i was informed that I cannot take it home but in this class we need 100 blood pressure readings in 10 weeks and the instructor went out of her way to inform my class mates that they can collect readings from outside school time, I am not allowed to use the stethoscope outside of my school/classtimes as the instructor so boldly went out of her way to inform the class. I feel outcasted and not allowed the same educational oppurtunites as my classmates. I need to know if I have a leg to stand on. Thanks! Juls

I had to have a stethoscope ordered special and i was informed that I cannot take it home but in this class we need 100 blood pressure readings in 10 weeks and the instructor went out of her way to inform my class mates that they can collect readings from outside school time, I am not allowed to use the stethoscope outside of my school/classtimes as the instructor so boldly went out of her way to inform the class. I feel outcasted and not allowed the same educational oppurtunites as my classmates. I need to know if I have a leg to stand on. Thanks! Juls

I would ask specifically WHY you can't take it home, and why you are being discriminated against in front of your classmates (which is actually against the law/HIPPA etc since they've disclosed a medical condition publicly).

Did everyone else order theirs through the school as well ? Was the cost included in books/tuition fees etc?

I'd talk to your disability services dept and see what you can do about it. Often times it's a case of ignorance not malice (they don't know what the rules are, so they make them up on the fly).

As a side note, if you're borrowing these from the school, you probably want to get your own anyway since you're going to be taking BPs as part of your job, aren't you going to need one of your own anyway?

Vocational Rehab should be able to help you pay for the specialized stethoscope.

Back