Bilateral hearing loss after meningitis

Keller

Reaction score
My name is Kathy and I am the mother of a child that suffered Pneumococcal (bacterial) meningitis, a vaccine preventable disease. First of all I congratulate those on the work they do to protect our children and adolescents from diseases that can be prevented by vaccines. I am encouraging recommendations for the meningitis vaccine for infants and adolescents so that they can be protected from this horrible disease that took my son’s hearing. This disease is easily preventable.

On January 21, 2009, my son Keller awoke vomiting and with a high fever. We took him to the pediatrician, who ordered a complete blood count (CBC) and blood culture. The pediatrician recommended a shot of the antibiotic Rocephin, due to a high amount of a certain white blood cell in the CBC. He received a second injection the next morning, and even showed improvement upon a repeat of his CBC. Unfortunately he got much worse that day, and my husband rushed him to the ER. Dehydrated and showing classic signs of meningitis, the doctor performed a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) that night. On January 24, 2009, Keller was diagnosed with Bacterial Meningitis. He had developed an ear infection two days prior because he was exposed to a strain of Streptococcus pneumonaiae not yet covered in the Prevnar series.

Keller was rushed by ambulance to a better equipped hospital in South Carolina on January 24, 2009, at 4:00 am to treat this illness. CT Scans and daily blood draws were completed. Regrettably, on January 26, 2009, Keller suffered a seizure which resulted in seven mini strokes confirmed by an MRI. He spent four days in ICU not able to breathe on his own, was intubated and heavily sedated. Keller was finally discharged February 11, 2009.

Prior to this illness, he was a happy, healthy, strong seven month old that was starting to crawl. This life-threatening experience resulted in Keller’s motor skills being severely hampered. He would have to relearn all the basic motor skills for a child his age which requires extensive physical therapy.

Not long after Keller’s release from the hospital, I noticed Keller didn’t respond to shaking toys around his head. He didn’t respond when I ran the vacuum. Then I engaged the fire alarm. Unfortunately, in addition to losing his basic motor skills, a brain test revealed no reaction to sound. The Bacterial Meningitis had robbed Keller of his hearing. Keller had bilateral hearing loss.

Counselors talked us through our options and on April 8th, 2009, surgeons implanted bilateral cochlear implants in my strong, amazing little guy. Through this medical miracle, he hears again with this hi-tech hearing device. Keller continues to receive hearing and speech therapy as he learns to adapt the sounds to his surroundings.

Keller has regained his strength and is actively walking and running. His charming and sweet personality has already started to re-emerge as he moves forward with this learning experience. Keller is one of the lucky ones. We are so very blessed. Keller still faces many challenges – pervasive developmental disorders and language delays. But he is our miracle – truly an earth bound angel.

Currently, Keller is attending Building Futures Autism Clinic for his Pervasive Developmental Disorder. Even though he has only been there just several months – we have seen a tremendous transformation in him. His sign language which was once his sole form of communication, is now almost non existent. It is quite apparent that children with any type of spectrum disorder benefit so much more with Applied Behavior Analysis. He is currently thriving with many successes in language and behavior, thanks to the Autism Clinic. He has been in Applied Behavior Analysis therapy for just 11 months, and has already demonstrated amazing results. He is on his way to being a success story and providing hope for us and for the many children confronted with this situation. Keller is making huge strides in language and is now speaking over 200 words and using 3 and 4 word sentences. He also participates in group activities with other children and makes eye contact with everyone he meets. He continues to amaze me with his progress and willingness to overcome his disabilities every single day.

xoxo

You may be surprised how many CI kids have many problems during the time their implants fail .

You should keep up the ASL for his happy future.

(From a fellow deaf autistic.)

Glad your son survived but to many of us, sign language is very very important so please keep up with the sign language and have him involved with the Deaf community. Many of us grew up without ASL or being involved with the Deaf community and wished we had. Pls consider that for your little one.

His sign language which was once his sole form of communication, is now almost non existent.

I feel for your story. What an ordeal. I do wish, however, you'd stick with ASL (sign language). Many CI kids still struggle without it.

Kathy, that's great that his spoken language is coming along. However, as you may know kids with PDD-NOS, and learning disabilties, as well as just dhh kids very often have issues with developing really sophiscated spoken language. ASL is ALSO really good for preventing meltdowns. Assuming that spoken language will work well in any and every sitution for a dhh kid, is like assuming that b/c you're a good driver in optium road conditions, you're a good driver in ANY conditions. The point being, the world is not a soundbooth, and the frustration and energy expending on hearing and speaking can be very exhausting. I say that as a formal hoh kid who has a very high verbal IQ. You know, when I get frustrated and or emotional I'll lose my speech and totally melt down....it's really tough.
Also, when the time comes around for school, if he knows ASL, his academic journey will be a LOT easier.....as he can take advantage of ASL academic programs or schools for the deaf.......if he's oral only they will take that as a "cue" that he's "not really deaf" and so cheat him out of accomondations and a real education.......Trust me, deaf ed has changed, and it's more HOH friendly then it ever was before.

Don't deprive of his needs as he need his accommodations to help him learn in his schools. ASL is a must for most deaf and hard of hearing students, even CI students. He need to understand ASL interpreters so that he will understand what the teachers and students are saying. He will have a hard time understanding what people are saying like in groups or noisy downtown or even if he try to lipread a person which don't have good mouth movement.

Listen to his needs. If you ignore him and still want him to be in the hearing world, then you make the big mistake when you don't want to listen to him at all. Almost most hearing parents of deaf children (even me when my mother refuse to listen to my needs) went through the same thing like you. So don't do that. Keep him in ASL.

I am very glad that he survived the ordeal of meningitis. You should be happy that he is alive but really please he need to use ASL to communicate with you and other people who use ASL. That is all I have to say. :)

Another proponent ASL here. Please please please not deprive him his natural language.

This IS a spahttp://sos-healthcare.com/http:/sos-healthcare.com/kellerdowdy/m:

I will go put this poster in the spammer registry.

Back