Biker Down

Jiro

If You Know What I Mean
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bystanders pull motorcycle driver trapped under burning car
(CNN) -- Police in Utah are searching for a group of construction workers, students and bystanders.

But for a good reason.

The group is credited with saving a man's life by working together to lift a burning car and pull a man to safety.

It was a "life-saving move that the Logan Police Department does not want to go unnoticed," said Jeff Curtis, assistant chief of the police department in Logan, Utah.

The incident occurred Monday morning on a street near Utah State University and was captured on video.

Police said the BMW pulled out of a parking lot and in front of the motorcyclist. Curtis said the motorcyclist tried to avoid the car, which resulted in him laying the motorcycle down.

After crashing, gas spilled out of the motorcycle and ignited, engulfing both the motorcycle and the front end of the car in flames, Curtis said. The motorcyclist became lodged underneath the burning vehicle.

A video the incident shows several startled bystanders looking under the BMW as flames leap into the air.

The crowd quickly grew to include a man in a suit, construction workers wearing hard hats, a woman in sandals and a young man carrying a backpack.

After one person in the group tried to pick up the blazing car, the crowd joined in and were somehow able to lift the 4,000-pound vehicle.

One of the bystanders drags the fallen motorcyclist's limp body from under the vehicle.

The motorcyclist was identified as 21-year-old Brandon Wright from Logan. He was rushed to a hospital and was in stable condition after surgery Monday evening, Curtis said. The driver of the car was not seriously injured.

Curtis said police are trying to find the people who helped so they can be recognized for their efforts at a city council meeting.

Wow. Heartwarming to hear of so many people banding together to help. Glad to hear no one was badly hurt either.

if you see a guy in suit just standing around while people were helping to lift the car.... that's him. a prick who drove that car.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUxPWx4YW20]Amazing rescue: Bystanders lift burning car off injured motorcyclist in Logan, Utah - YouTube[/ame]

Amazing!

I hope the injured guy will be OK.

Wow, that's an incredible video. Glad they got him out of there. Piss on the suit just walking around.

Stories like this is proof there are good people out there. Thanks for sharing the story jiro.

see pix attached. This guy will most likely get away with just bad bruise if he were ATGATT

Attachments

• rider.jpg
    rider.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 16
Not even a helmet. Sigh....

I noticed that too but I don't know if he didn't wear it or it came off upon impact

UPDATE - I just checked that Utah doesn't require riders aged above 17 years old to wear helmet. :Ohno: I was even shocked to see riders just a state away (Connecticut) that doesn't require helmet either because we were riding at very fast speed... close to 90mph. Didn't even know CT doesn't require helmet but come on.... riding close to 90mph with no helmet? really????

if you see a guy in suit just standing around while people were helping to lift the car.... that's him. a prick who drove that car.

While I agree he was probably being a prick, it is possible he was probably in a shock. I don't know how I would be if I was him but I imagine I would be in a daze at the moment.

I noticed that too but I don't know if he didn't wear it or it came off upon impact

UPDATE - I just checked that Utah doesn't require riders aged above 17 years old to wear helmet. :Ohno: I was even shocked to see riders just a state away (Connecticut) that doesn't require helmet either because we were riding at very fast speed... close to 90mph. Didn't even know CT doesn't require helmet but come on.... riding close to 90mph with no helmet? really????

Well, at 90 mpg, there's no discussion! :lol:

Was the guy in the suit just standing around talking on a cell phone the driver of the BMW? He was probably on the same call that distracted him enough to nearly kill someone.

In South Carolina, riders age 21 and above don't have to wear helmets.

Military riders are supposed to wear helmets always, no matter what age. On bases, there are no exceptions.

A couple years ago, Myrtle Beach, SC, tried to enforce a 100% helmet law within the city limits but the courts knocked it down. State law supercedes local law. (Myrtle Beach is host to two different biker weeks each year, and they were trying to "control" the bikers by enacting special laws.)

I'm surprised you could ride 90 mph on CT's winding, hilly roads. Most of the backroads are also tree-lined, so an accident could be really ugly.

I'm surprised you could ride 90 mph on CT's winding, hilly roads. Most of the backroads are also tree-lined, so an accident could be really ugly.

I took interstate. According to map... I took I-95... then I-91... then I-84.... then I-93. I would never speed that fast on backroads or hilly twisty roads :Ohno:

I saw the interview with the biker this morning. He was very grateful to everyone. He also said that he will never ride his bike without a helmet again.

I saw the interview with the biker this morning. He was very grateful to everyone. He also said that he will never ride his bike without a helmet again.

Or without gloves, either.

You crazy bikers...:roll:

Stories like this is proof there are good people out there. Thanks for sharing the story jiro.

My brother in law saw a horrible auto accident and was someone trapped in the car,people where just standing not knowing what to do. My brother in law pulled the door off the car and got the person out. He then left, he did not want to have his photo taken etc. The story about the biker was TV all week.
I am glad he will be OK. He want to meet all the people that lifted the car off him and thank them.

Back