Auslan Student

Pinkerbelle

Reaction score
Hello :wave:

I'm an Auslan student hoping to meet and form friendship with Deaf and Hoh People. If there is anyone out there looking for a few laughs at the expense of my extremely underdeveloped understanding of the deaf culture and signing, feel free to say hello!

Elle

Hi Elle,
There's some deaf do in NSW. I think there's a deaf club in North Ryde.
Anyway, have a great time learning Auslan. :)

Why hello fellow auslan student. Which level are you in? First year? Second? Do spill.
btw, I am from canberra, welcome to AD!

Hi Hi! Thanks for the welcome Jclarke and Miss Delectable! Am currently in second year but am teaching myself on the side so that I may be able to interpret within the next 3 years!!! Peachy keen!

Hi Hi! Thanks for the welcome Jclarke and Miss Delectable! Am currently in second year but am teaching myself on the side so that I may be able to interpret within the next 3 years!!! Peachy keen!
second year, very nice.
you have a sign name?

Sorry, I meant that I could sign "I would, How far are you?"
I would say that I could sign with someone if they didn't go to fast.
I'm currently teaching myself to translate childrens books into sign. Eg: using the correct syntax, condensing sentences and using visual displays to explain large paragraphs rather than sign them word for word.

Do you think i'm heading in the right direction for someone wanting to build up their skills?
Do you have any suggestions on what else i might do to become a better signer??

Sorry, I meant that I could sign "I would, How far are you?"
I would say that I could sign with someone if they didn't go to fast.
I'm currently teaching myself to translate childrens books into sign. Eg: using the correct syntax, condensing sentences and using visual displays to explain large paragraphs rather than sign them word for word.

Do you think i'm heading in the right direction for someone wanting to build up their skills?
Do you have any suggestions on what else i might do to become a better signer??
Me - it was an obvious question, pinkerbelle
but what you just said, is good, and you're in the right way.
However use expressions while you sign, and go and participate with deaf community to improve the signs you learn from.

I have a friend who was in 2nd year of auslan class in canberra, she has moved to Melbourne to continue Dipolma in Auslan and as standing in 2nd year - this expects students to be average signer, however for this one, I was impressed and it has exceeded my expectations to be an coda - or a person who grew up with sign language.

It is pretty simple, learn whatever you can from anywhere, that invovles AUSLAN, like the deaf club - for example.

Hi Elle,
There's some deaf do in NSW. I think there's a deaf club in North Ryde.
Anyway, have a great time learning Auslan. :)
North Ryde? Isn't that in North Sydney? Or an area in the North Coast?
Where did you get that information from?

Back