at&t mysteriously direct Salt Lakes 911 calls to Seattle

PowerON

Reaction score
SALT LAKE CITY -- Many AT&T carriers had a big, and potentially life-threatening problem Thursday. When they tried to call 911 for help, they were connected to an operator a thousand miles away.

AT&T says the problem was fixed by 11:30 p.m. MDT, but they still don't know exactly what caused it.

"We were coming down from Farmington to drop my son off at school," says Tony Sams. "We witnessed a hit-and-run incident. We dialed 911."

Witnessing an accident was startling for Sams, but the 911 dispatcher's response when he gave her his location startled him quite a bit more.

"It's 911 in Seattle," Sams says.

ksl.com - More to read...

That's one of reason you shouldn't trust mobile phone to call 911. Like I told they're not 100% effect.

That's one of reason you shouldn't trust mobile phone to call 911. Like I told they're not 100% effect.

When you witness a car accident on the scene... you don't have a landline. Unless you're lucky enough to be near a store or a phone booth, which is not always the case.

Solution? 200km long extension cord.

When you witness a car accident on the scene... you don't have a landline. Unless you're lucky enough to be near a store or a phone booth, which is not always the case.

Solution? 200km long extension cord.

I'm just saying for most deaf who are mostly depend on mobile phone for 911 while at home :roll:

I'm just saying for most deaf who are mostly depend on mobile phone for 911 while at home :roll:

but deafies wouldn't be able to talk to 911 anyway

Exactly! They wouldn't be aware that operate may be in different location when dial and leave that way.

they don't always come but Salt Lake City... plenty of people around to call 911. either way - just a little glitch that AT&T just fixed.

but deafies wouldn't be able to talk to 911 anyway

I have....I start with I am deaf...I am not going to be able to answer questions...I gave the location.....play by play and repeated the location a few times.

I have....I start with I am deaf...I am not going to be able to answer questions...I gave the location.....play by play and repeated the location a few times.

other deafies cannot talk.

however - for deafies who can talk but not hear... we can't tell if the operator can hear us or not because the connection may be staticy. or worse... talking to machine when we're on hold.

oh well.

PowerON has historically advocated that deaf people should keep their TTYs in events where VRS, IP Relay (both requires Internet) and mobile fails for 911 calls

I saw this on the news last night and just thought, oh brother. Glad I don't have AT&T. They did give an alternate number to call for the time being, but its not as easy as 911 to memorize.

Back