ASL tutor?

Erinmove

Reaction score
Hi. I recently introduced myself in the Introduction forum. I don't want to be one of those people who comes here wanting someone to do their homework for them. I am need of assistance to be sure that I am properly forming sentences in ASL. I JUST began learning sign language. I learn the sign for words easily and can even read what people sign to me. My difficulty is forming my won sentences. I understand how to form the most basic of sentences. Coming up, I have a paragraph that my teach would like me to sign to her:

Last week i went to the library. In the parking lot I saw my friends car, so I parked next to it. I went to the front door and went upstairs to the third floor. The study room was on the right side. My Friend was there and we studied ASL. When we finished, we went downstairs and bought a cup of coffee. i had a good time.

My university does not have a tutor for ASL. This is discouraging because my little hiccup in the course would hinder my future learning in the subjeact. Is there anyone that would be willing to chat with me to help me learn the correct structure of some of the more involved sentences? i hope to be able to gain understanding that I can build off of.

You can reply to this posting to get in contact with me and then we can discuss how you would like to chat - whatsapp, skype, emails, texts... I am even willing to give compensation to someone that is willing to help. this has long been a passion of mine. I should say, I was given the assignment of translating the paragraph on Tuesday and I am due to have it done on Thursday. Tuesday morning there is an open class period for me to discuss any problems I have with my teacher, but I would like to walk in with more understanding rather than just a few assumptions.

Thanks and I apologize that my second posting is asking for help.

Can you practice with your classmates?

How much work have you done on your paragraph? What part are you stuck on?

I see that you are in Michigan. Try going to Deaf social night at mall. There will be 2 coming up. Both are in Grand Rapids area. One is on Saturday. Other is on Tuesday.

Reba - I have a majority of the paragraph worked out - at least enough to bring to my classmates to discuss. The ones that really have me stumped are the second sentence (about parking next to my friends car) - I don't know what to identify first; and the second to last one about finisshing and buying coffee - i don't know where to place the subject.

Dereksbicycles - i will definitely have to check that out! I had no idea. Tuesday nigth will be my best bet only if it isn't during my night class. The hard thing about getting one-on-one help locally is that I work 52 hours/week and am a full time student, so my schedule seems to be pretty tight.

I appreciate your responses!

I have to ask as well, are there many differences between sign languge of English-speakers and those of other languages? I currently travel to Africa often and have a good friend that is deaf. I obviously don't know enough to ASL to be able to sign full sentences with him but we do communicate limited. just wondering what differences you have seen (if any) across other languages.

It would be a really good idea to have some kind of partner in class who you can practice with. I took my asl classes with my best friend so we could practice whenever we felt like it, helps a lot. If one doesn't know then the other one might.

I have to ask as well, are there many differences between sign languge of English-speakers and those of other languages? I currently travel to Africa often and have a good friend that is deaf. I obviously don't know enough to ASL to be able to sign full sentences with him but we do communicate limited. just wondering what differences you have seen (if any) across other languages.
ASL and sign languages of different countries are completely different languages.

Back