ASL Student and Aspiring Interpreter in Northern California

stellzabell

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My name is Stella. I live in Humboldt County, in a city called Eureka right on the coast of California. I am a Senior in high school, but I go to an independent study charter school and also take classes at the community college, College of the Redwoods. Currently, I am enrolled in ASL 1 at the college here. It is my favorite class for sure! ASL is such a fascinating, expressive, and efficient language.
There isn't a very big Deaf community here in Humboldt County, but I have met a couple people who are Deaf, and I am also friends with two interpreters. I am drawn to the interpreting career, and in a couple years I am planning on getting my BA in ASL/English Interpreting at Western Oregon University in Monmouth, Oregon. The state school for the Deaf is near there, in Salem, I believe. I heard they have a great interpreting program.
I have one question. I would like your opinion on the idea of including ASL more in hearing schools, grades K-12. I am doing a persuasive speech on this topic in one of my classes. My conclusion is that including ASL in hearing schools would allow Deaf students to learn in a diverse environment (if they choose to go to a mainstream school,) continue practicing sign language at school, and interact with classmates in their native language. In addition, it would promote understanding between Deaf and hearing cultures, as well as provide more job opportunities for Deaf teachers who want to teach sign language.
I'd like to get some perspectives from the Deaf community. What do you all think?
Thanks! Hope to chat with you all! Also, if any of you are from northern California, let me know!

Yea the deaf school is in salem, where I live :) western is a great school. Welcome to all deaf :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

I love the idea! Realistically, however the sign language lessons would compete with everything else kids are supposed to learn. I doubt teachers, parents, and politicians would agree to switch an hour of math or geography to sign language lessons instead.

I saw an interesting program about teaching of the deaf in Italy. Apparently, if there is a deaf child in a class, the whole class gets sign language lessons. There also is an interpreter in class all time. It seemed to work, since at least some of the class mates were really good at signing. Maybe look into the Italian system.

Hi everyone! My name is Stella. I live in Humboldt County, in a city called Eureka right on the coast of California. I am a Senior in high school, but I go to an independent study charter school and also take classes at the community college, College of the Redwoods. Currently, I am enrolled in ASL 1 at the college here. It is my favorite class for sure! ASL is such a fascinating, expressive, and efficient language.
There isn't a very big Deaf community here in Humboldt County, but I have met a couple people who are Deaf, and I am also friends with two interpreters. I am drawn to the interpreting career, and in a couple years I am planning on getting my BA in ASL/English Interpreting at Western Oregon University in Monmouth, Oregon. The state school for the Deaf is near there, in Salem, I believe. I heard they have a great interpreting program.
I have one question. I would like your opinion on the idea of including ASL more in hearing schools, grades K-12. I am doing a persuasive speech on this topic in one of my classes. My conclusion is that including ASL in hearing schools would allow Deaf students to learn in a diverse environment (if they choose to go to a mainstream school,) continue practicing sign language at school, and interact with classmates in their native language. In addition, it would promote understanding between Deaf and hearing cultures, as well as provide more job opportunities for Deaf teachers who want to teach sign language.
I'd like to get some perspectives from the Deaf community. What do you all think?
Thanks! Hope to chat with you all! Also, if any of you are from northern California, let me know!
one of the schools in my city actually has a dhh magnet program where signing is taught and emphasized for the hearing nts as well.

Back