ASL Etiquette-Is This Okay?

KathyWithakay

Reaction score
Hello!
So, I'm an ITP student, currently in advanced II...
I do some travelling out of town and state to visit family now and then,
and I'm wondering if it is appropriate for me to visit the Deaf club while I'm in the area?
I think the exposure to new signing styles and regional signs would a wonderful experience...however, as a hearing person (although I am in the ITP) I don't want to overstep my boundaries..
I know this may seem silly, but this language and this career are so very important to me and I don't want to do anything that would be insulting or inappropriate.
Thanks in advance!
-Kathy

Hello!
and I'm wondering if it is appropriate for me to visit the Deaf club while I'm in the area?
I think the exposure to new signing styles and regional signs would a wonderful experience...however, as a hearing person (although I am in the ITP) I don't want to overstep my boundaries..
I know this may seem silly, but this language and this career are so very important to me and I don't want to do anything that would be insulting or inappropriate.
Thanks in advance!
-Kathy

For Deaf events, are there any large towns/cities nearby? You might have a better chance there, as Deaf communities tend to be larger in those. I know it is here in Chicago, just not where I'm at now. Hope that helps somewhat.

Hello!
Thanks in advance!
-Kathy

eh you think too much lol

go and enjoy!

Why not? I frequent Deaf events when I travel out of town for bicycle business. It's important to network. I see a lot of ASL students eager to learn ASL. That is what I enjoy about going to Deaf events.

Back