animal-based diet linked to early deaths

netrox

Reaction score
Of course, it's been known for decades that animal-based diets are likely to shorten a person's lifespan.

This new study is just repeating again but with a difference: it studied low carbo diets based on animal vs plants:

"An animal-based, low-carbohydrate diet is associated with higher all-cause mortality rates, whereas a vegetable-based low-carbohydrate diet is associated with lower all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality rates, according to the results of 2 prospective cohort studies reported in the September 7 issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine."

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/728146

It's obvious that we shouldn't eat too much meat. We need to eat more grains, nuts/seeds, beans, vegetables and fruits.

I do wonder why animal meat shortens life expectancy tho. I have theories on it - too much iron in it and it's known that too much iron is bad for your cardiovascular system. It oxidizes and increases cholesterol. Other theory is that the animal protein isn't friendly to kidneys as animal protein are. Also, when you eat a lot of plants, you don't need much animal meat and as a result, you consume more natural antioxidants to fight cancer and improve cardiovascular system. Meat itself has no strong effective antioxidants even though it provides complete protein and some nutrients. Plants are much more complex and have several chemicals that can serve as antioxidants. The Brassica family like cabbage, broccoli, and mustards, are known to contain chemicals that are potent chemopreventive so it's not surprising that anyone eating it will have lower risk of cancer.

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

So, we are herbivores orginally? I think we are designed to eat a balance of plant and animal diet. We can't eat only meat which isn't good for you. We all know that from the food pamarid thingy.

Last edited:
Look at our teeth. They've been adapted to tear into meat and such.

And this article? -> :run::run:

And I had a nice big fat grilled steak I made a few days ago, too, for two dinners worth.

Omnivores.

Our teeth are designed for both meat and plants. However, the meat is supposed to only take up a small portion of our daily intake. Bears are similar, they eat mostly fruits and plants.

Back