Advocate for older mother. Hello!

Hear for mom

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm here trying to find help for my elderly mother who is late to life with her deafness. I've been told by a friend of mine that being deaf is more isolating to a person then being blind. I was quite surprised to hear this, but I could hear her clearly, and maybe that's why.

I've decided to take some time to try to help my mother better cope with her hearing loss. I'm a grown son with a wonderful family. We try to make her a part of it, but it is difficult for her not to feel a burden. She has recently aquired a telephone from CapTel, which is a wonderful device. I have been looking for a similar device that could be hand held for her to use during normal conversations, and can't beleive I can't find anything. Something that would turn a person's speech into text. It doesn't seem to exist. Or am I missing something. It seems so easy. Absent that, has anyone used an iPad or similar device with a voice recognition app with any success?

Thanks for any help and/or advice. Mark

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. All I could give you an advice is to have you and your mom learn to sign ASL. It is good to communicate that way.

Also I think there was a sort of a computer like a notebook (2 notesbooks). One for you and one for your mom and you can communicate facing each other like as if both of you are making conversation only both of you are typing the sentences to communicate. They advertised this special devices on Deaf Newspapers when Ken Davis introduced the idea between Deaf or Hard Of Hearing person and the hearing person. I really like the idea but I don't know how or where to order unless it might be on Ebay. :dunno:

Captel uses live person to type in whatever the other party was saying. That is why you can't find a handheld device that would print out whatever the other person is saying. If there is such a thing like that, probably almost all the interpreters will be out of jobs!!!

A friend gave me this software and I tried it out. It seems that it is just for one person only. It had me repeated a short story to fit the software to my speech. I don't know if it could work for so many people just in few hours. All that accents.

You could asked around to borrow something like that to see for yourself. Good luck in finding a solution.

Can your mom use an hearing aid?

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. All I could give you an advice is to have you and your mom learn to sign ASL. It is good to communicate that way.

Also I think there was a sort of a computer like a notebook (2 notesbooks). One for you and one for your mom and you can communicate facing each other like as if both of you are making conversation only both of you are typing the sentences to communicate. They advertised this special devices on Deaf Newspapers when Ken Davis introduced the idea between Deaf or Hard Of Hearing person and the hearing person. I really like the idea but I don't know how or where to order unless it might be on Ebay. :dunno:

You mean UbiDuo? UbiDuo | www.scomm.com

Those things are expensive!! Under 2 thousands dollars.

The droid has an app that turns speech into text. I haven't used it so I can't tell you more.

Someone here mentioned having a Samsung Galaxy Tablet with, I think it was, "Dragon" software that turned speech into text. She used it for group conversations, and said it worked well. So that might be an option.

And definitely look into hearing aids, as one of the first things you should do. A late-deafened elderly person probably has the type of hearing loss that can be helped a lot with a hearing aid. She maybe needs something simple so she is not fiddling with different programs and all that.

Thank you all!

My thanks to everyone that has replied so far! My mother has exhausted all forms of hearing aids over the past few years. She has also been ruled out for a choclear implant. (My apology, if that is spelled incorrectly.)

I have tried an app on my iPhone, but it doesn't work very well. Dragon is a possibility, but My mother is techinally challenged, so that might or might not work.

I didn't realize that real people were transcribing for Cap Tel. It is hard to beleive that with all the technology we live with, that something hasn't been invented to help people with hearing impairment. It seems so simple... A hand held device that could be used as a microphone by the person talking, and would type out the text for the other person to read. I suppose ther's not enough profit to be made, or we'd have one next week.

Thanks again to all!

You mean UbiDuo? UbiDuo | www.scomm.com

Those things are expensive!! Under 2 thousands dollars.

Yes, Buffalo. That is the ones that I was talking about to help communicate each other. Well, with that money of 2 thousand dollars, time to save up and buy this.

I don't know about voice to text. I used to have "Dragon" for my class three years ago and went up for two years. It was an all right thing but not very successful. I would rather have ASL interpreters to help me learn in the hearing classroom. But the thing is I could not get the ASL interpreters on the island. I was told that I need to be up in the city on the mainland to study with ASL interpreters. I can not help that but I would rather stay here on the island than go up North. That was my decision. :(

Back