A quick question please.

MooseMommy

Reaction score

MooseMommy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi! I'm from Calgary and although not deaf, I am an avid student of ASL. I have a 14 month old son with whom I have been signing since 9 months...he's really good at it! He learns signs at daycare and so I'm falling behind now. I'm hoping someone can tell me the signs he is trying to tell me if I describe them. Do you know what a finger tapping into the opposite palm is?
Thank you in advance :)

If its the forefinger and tapping along that whole finger would probably mean "Dis
cuss", "Argue"; however, if poking the other palm with this forefinger at it's tip would probably mean "owe", "debt".....

If its the forefinger and tapping along that whole finger would probably mean "Dis
cuss", "Argue"; however, if poking the other palm with this forefinger at it's tip would probably mean "owe", "debt".....
Possibly but in the context of a 14-month-old those would be unusual signs for the child to use.

Depending on the positioning, palm orientation and which finger, and what the mom means by "tapping" it could also be SHOW, THIS or MEDICINE (still odd choices for that age).

If he lived in Michigan, he could be indicating that he's from Lansing. :lol:

Or maybe it's not a sign but he just wants something put into his hand. :dunno:

It's hard to determine without a fuller description and knowing the context under which it was used.

For MooseMommy:

When describing a sign it's important to know:

1. context

2. hand shape of each hand

3. palm orientation

4. where the hands are positioned relative to the signing space around the body

5. direction of movement

6. is it a single or repeated movement

Back