A Question of Terminology

pneumonica

Reaction score
So, here's the question that actually brought me here initially. My question might raise some people's hackles as it sounds like I'm asking about an archaic and offensive term, but please hear me out. When discussing people who are actually voiceless (not that they can't hear, but they literally can't speak), is it considered rude to refer to them as "mute"?

I'm asking because I'm working on a document that discusses voiceless people, and I've been merrily plugging in the word "mute," but then I stopped and realized that mute might be an offensive word. So, I'm putting a kaibosh on further writing until I can get at least some answer as to whether "mute" is a proper term to describe voiceless people.

As a clarification, I mean "mute" as an adjective, not a noun. A person isn't a "mute," but a person might be "mute."

Voice off is more appropriate.

Mute really means something different. ASL users aren't actually mute.

So, here's the question that actually brought me here initially. My question might raise some people's hackles as it sounds like I'm asking about an archaic and offensive term, but please hear me out. When discussing people who are actually voiceless (not that they can't hear, but they literally can't speak), is it considered rude to refer to them as "mute"?

I'm asking because I'm working on a document that discusses voiceless people, and I've been merrily plugging in the word "mute," but then I stopped and realized that mute might be an offensive word. So, I'm putting a kaibosh on further writing until I can get at least some answer as to whether "mute" is a proper term to describe voiceless people.

As a clarification, I mean "mute" as an adjective, not a noun. A person isn't a "mute," but a person might be "mute."

Voice off is more appropriate.

Mute really means something different. ASL users aren't actually mute.

The OP didn't say anything about ASL users. The question was about people who can't speak (people who aren't necessarily deaf/hh.)

I agree that people who choose not to speak while signing are best referred to with the phrase "voice off" but I don't think that's what's being asked about.

The OP didn't say anything about ASL users. The question was about people who can't speak (people who aren't necessarily deaf/hh.)

I agree that people who choose not to speak while signing are best referred to with the phrase "voice off" but I don't think that's what's being asked about.

OK. It seems a bit odd to ask that on a forum for Deaf users as we are no more qualified to answer that than the general population, but it's possible that is what the OP was asking... :hmm:

I could find no other resource. My initial attempt was to Google "is mute a rude term" and it came up with nothing about voicelessness and everything about deafness. I couldn't find a muteness forum or any other resources (my Google-fu might be weak), so I'm trying this as a secondary resource.

I'm just someone who's here because she's into ASL (well, initially that was my reason for coming here, ha!) so don't take this as anything authoritative.

I think the association of the word mute with rudeness is that people sometimes use it when talking about deaf people. And generally, deaf people aren't mute. Speech skills vary, voice varies, but most deaf people can make sounds with their vocal chords.

If a person, regardless of their hearing status, is truly unable to speak (because of a physical issue with the parts of their bodies that make vocal sounds, or maybe a psychological issue, etc), I think the word mute is right, and not rude.

I could find no other resource. My initial attempt was to Google "is mute a rude term" and it came up with nothing about voicelessness and everything about deafness. I couldn't find a muteness forum or any other resources (my Google-fu might be weak), so I'm trying this as a secondary resource.

True mutism is rare, so it's little wonder there is no dedicated forum.

Is this document fiction, or something to do with the law?

Do you mean "voiceless" as in they are physically unable to produce any sounds. Or do you mean someone who is unable to speak?

Mute might be applicable (and acceptable) for someone who unable to make any sounds at all.

mute should never be used to equal being void of language (which is a totally different thing)

There's nonverbal but that usually refers to a euphanism for mentally disabled and autistic kids. There's really not a huge amount of people who don't have other problems but simply cannot speak.....Apraxic?

Back