A hearing mother's responsibility.

cheritaisrandom

Reaction score
My name is Cherita and I'm a hearing mother to a hearing 3 year old boy. I started teaching him baby signs when he was 6 months old because of all the positive benefits I had read about. However, once he started talking I stopped using sign language and focused mainly on oral speech. I've been doing research on finding groups or schools that cater to deaf and/or hard of hearing children so that I can immerse my son into the language or deaf culture for a few reasons. You always hear about trying to introduce a deaf child into the hearing world, but why is it never you hear about introducing a hearing child into the deaf world? :hmm: Just as deaf children have to find out that not everybody is like them and some kids can hear, I think it's just as important for hearing kids to understand that not everyone can hear like them. I don't want my son to grow up with any misguided information about any culture and I want him to be well-rounded in life. I would like to meet some children around his age who are Deaf or HH, but I have not one clue where to start :(

good sentments but more to deaf culture than signing..in my case it was nesseccary ,signing a good thing to know but are you sending him to deaf mix school will that be his second langage

Usually is. CoDAs who get immersed into Deaf culture...your situation is almost unheard of but why not?

Usually is. CoDAs who get immersed into Deaf culture...your situation is almost unheard of but why not?

"Like"

That is true when we have hearing children. We taught them to sign Baby signs or/and ASL. They grew up almost fluently. Shel90 is correct that it is very unheard of a hearing mother with a hearing child. You (hearing mother) want your child to be immerse into the Deaf Culture. Wow. :shock:

WOW ! It's Damned if you do, damned if you don't for a hearing person . People are complaining hearing people ' just don't get it about being deaf'. And here is a hearing mother trying to raise her hearing child 'to get it' ' . I think it would had been a lot nicer to made her feel Welcome instead Going "WOW :shock:" '

To the OP I notice you live in Northern California , are you near any cities
that library that story telling for kids , some time they'll have one for hoh and deaf kids and I sure it would OK for your child to go too.

I'm also a hearing mother to a hearing 19 mo old son. I've done baby sign and some ASL. I've had an interest in ASL since my high school had ASL as a language class that I never got to take. I've also worked in grocery store as a cashier with many customers that were deaf and I couldn't communicate with them. I also would like to learn and understand better with my son.

I want to make sure that's is clear that I support this mom. I think it is great!!!

WOW ! It's Damned if you do, damned if you don't for a hearing person . People are complaining hearing people ' just don't get it about being deaf'. And here is a hearing mother trying to raise her hearing child 'to get it' ' . I think it would had been a lot nicer to made her feel Welcome instead Going "WOW :shock:" '

that library that story telling for kids , some time they'll have one for hoh and deaf kids and I sure it would OK for your child to go too.

Just stop being so rude about everything we say especially me. That is really compliment for her, not you. I don't really like your comments on every threads every time you make negative comments. Just let us use our ways of making comments and please don't correct us. Thank you. :roll:

would you teach her brail

I wouldn't teach my son braille, only because if a person is blind, they cannot see, but they can still communicate verbally with my son. Braille is a means of a blind person to read, not communicate.

We do have libraries with story telling time, but I haven't seen any specified for hoh and/or deaf kids. HOWEVER, Rachel Coleman (I'm sure you've heard of her) is coming to my city on the 18th and I bought tickets for me and my son. Hopefully I am able to introduce my son and myself to a family that has hoh or deaf kids. Thank you so much for the encouragement.

People are afraid of what they don't know. They don't know how to act, they don't know the right questions to ask, they're usually unconcerned to anything that's not "normal" to them. I enjoy learning new things as does my son. I once went to an ASL meetup group and I was the only hearing person there. It was the most uncomfortable thing I've EVER done in my life, but it was an amazing learning experience. The world would be a better place if people learned to step out of their comfort zone every once in a while.

"Like"

That is true when we have hearing children. We taught them to sign Baby signs or/and ASL. They grew up almost fluently. Shel90 is correct that it is very unheard of a hearing mother with a hearing child. You (hearing mother) want your child to be immerse into the Deaf Culture. Wow. :shock:

Thank you! Americans are pretty much stuck in their ways. They don't like to expand their knowledge. I don't know any deaf people, I don't have any deaf family, I don't have a true reason to learn ASL or to learn about the Deaf community. But why should I restrict my son from learning new things? Yes I can teach him math, I can teach him science, but how is that going to help him in the real world? He needs life long lessons that can allow him to give back to society. I don't want him to blend in, I want him to make a difference.

Back