A divide?

IcyColes

Reaction score
I guess to start I should say that I can hear (usually).

I haven't looked through the forum as much as I would like, but I keep finding something that I thought was weird. There appears to be a great divide, or something, between you and people that hear. I really didn't expect to find that. I guess though, that I could be misunderstanding (that isn't uncommon for me).

Are you really so different? Or am I completely wrong? What's up?

No the deaf are not different. It's the hearing who THINK the deaf are different that causes the divide.

No the deaf are not different. It's the hearing who THINK the deaf are different that causes the divide.

I agree with LoveBlue. I don't have an issue with hearing people but I do have an issue when they treat me as if I am incapable of making day to day decisions or that I am of lower intelligence.

Is the above comments in keeping with "Deaf militants"-all "problems" are "hearing" peoples fault because of " Deaf oppression".?

As a bilateral DEAF person-have trouble determining who allegedly "oppressed" me and when?

All this goes back to 1881- Council of Milan discussions re: "restriction of the use of Sign Language" vs "teaching the Deaf to learn to speak".

Whether "this" is "part of divide"-debatable? Not to be dogmatic-of course.

Another interlude in Sociology-"Deaf culture"

Heck in the bike world, 2 bike fanatics will have different ideas on value of certain bikes.

I guess to start I should say that I can hear (usually).

I haven't looked through the forum as much as I would like, but I keep finding something that I thought was weird. There appears to be a great divide, or something, between you and people that hear. I really didn't expect to find that. I guess though, that I could be misunderstanding (that isn't uncommon for me).

Are you really so different? Or am I completely wrong? What's up?

No you are not wrong.

But then, I hate everybody on both sides! :P

Is the above comments in keeping with "Deaf militants"-all "problems" are "hearing" peoples fault because of " Deaf oppression".?

As a bilateral DEAF person-have trouble determining who allegedly "oppressed" me and when?

All this goes back to 1881- Council of Milan discussions re: "restriction of the use of Sign Language" vs "teaching the Deaf to learn to speak".

Whether "this" is "part of divide"-debatable? Not to be dogmatic-of course.

Another interlude in Sociology-"Deaf culture"

Heck in the bike world, 2 bike fanatics will have different ideas on value of certain bikes.

No you are not wrong.

But then, I hate everybody on both sides! :P

Yes you misunderstand big time. :ugh3:
OP--- Please note the many divisions of thought, just on your one tiny thread!!

Back