Should public school teachers go on strike?

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
What do you think of school teachers going on strike by calling in "sick"?

Madison schools, others closed amid call for demonstrations

Was Wednesday's 'sick out' by Madison teachers an illegal strike?

40% Of Madison Teachers Call In Sick To Join Austerity Protest At The Wisconsin State Building

The Wisconsin protests and the re-emergence of the American working class

Wisconsin Faces Progressive Insurrection- Wisconsin Teachers Protest- Wisconsin News | The Freedomist

What about the rhetoric the strikers use? "Kill the bill"--uh, oh, will some crazed maniac take that literally? What about the posters showing Wisconsin's governor being compared to Hitler and Mubarak? Is that OK?

What about teachers bringing high school students with them to the protest rallies? Did they have permission from the parents? Did they provide round-trip transportation for the kids? Did the kids realize that they were being used?

Shocking Vid: Wis. HS Students Admit Teachers Bringing Them to Protests but Don‘t Know Why They’re There | The Blaze

Should the Wisconsin governor follow Ronald Reagan's example with the air traffic controllers and fire all the striking teachers?

I'm just posted my opinion from other thread.
http://www.alldeaf.com/war-political-news/87538-wisconsin-lawmakers-missing-action.html#post1771319

It is just same old political shit and Tea Party used "kill the bill" protest too, it is all about political. Speaking of call in sick and absent from school, it is normal for teacher to be on union strike so I don't have position to say if they are wrong or not so I believe that they have rights to voice their opinion and protest against governor about what is wrong with something, such as unions, out of control spending, tax increase, etc.

Should the Wisconsin governor follow Ronald Reagan's example with the air traffic controllers and fire all the striking teachers?

No, I think governor need find something to resolve the situation with them, firing them is just too big and extreme so we do have teacher shortage issues.

I'm not sure about WI law, especially tenures and that why I said let Wisconsinites to handle with situation.

I'm just posted my opinion from other thread.
http://www.alldeaf.com/war-political-news/87538-wisconsin-lawmakers-missing-action.html#post1771319

It is just same old political shit and Tea Party used "kill the bill" protest too, it is all about political.
If the Tea Party used "kill the bill" they were critcized by the liberals for their rhetoric. Are the liberals criticizing the teachers for their rhetoric?

Speaking of call in sick and absent from school, it is normal for teacher to be on union strike so I don't have position to say if they are wrong or not so I believe that they have rights to voice their opinion and protest against governor about what is wrong with something, such as unions, out of control spending, tax increase, etc.
If teachers calling in sick to strike from school is considered "normal" then America's schools are in a heap of trouble.

No, I think governor need find something to resolve the situation with them, firing them is just too big and extreme so we do have teacher shortage issues.
They could hire lots of former teachers and college graduates who are unemployed.

I'm not sure about WI law, especially tenures and that why I said let Wisconsinites to handle with situation.
Yes, I agree. Wisconsin should handle it themselves. The President and other outsiders should stay out of it.

If the Tea Party used "kill the bill" they were critcized by the liberals for their rhetoric. Are the liberals criticizing the teachers for their rhetoric?

If teachers calling in sick to strike from school is considered "normal" then America's schools are in a heap of trouble.

No, it is all about political, Tea Party said KILL THE BILL and pro-union said KILL THE BILL, it is their voice their opinion against on bill. I don't care if both of them are criticized by liberal or conservative group.

Again, no, that's what I wasn't say, it isn't means about normal living so I means that is not uncommon for union workers to call in sick and join strike, including teachers.

They could hire lots of former teachers and college graduates who are unemployed.

Yes, I agree. Wisconsin should handle it themselves. The President and other outsiders should stay out of it.

Well, it will be still teacher shortage so fire all teachers are not option, if you want fire all of them then increase of class size and fewer teachers. It is better for governor to negotiate with unions.

Obama supported union protest because he's from IL, of course, strongly union state and same goes with WI.

Well, it will be still teacher shortage so fire all teachers are not option, if you want fire all of them then increase of class size and fewer teachers.
Fire just the teachers who called in sick for the strike. Not all teachers did that.

There are lots of people looking for teaching jobs.

Obama supported union protest because he's from IL, of course, strongly union state and same goes with WI.
As President, he should stay out of a state's business.

Fire just the teachers who called in sick for the strike. Not all teachers did that.

There are lots of people looking for teaching jobs.

As President, he should stay out of a state's business.

Depends on state, in here, we have teacher shortage for decade right now and our governor is looking for solution to end the teacher shortage, that what Riley tried for years but won't work out. Not forgot about our state does have teacher unions and our new governor has no interest to interfere with unions but other conservative governor that lost from run-off election wants rid of teacher unions.

What you do want teachers to do if they disagree with state governor to rid of unions and how they can join protest/strike instead of call in sick?

Wisconsin is different because political is toss-up and Scott Walker isn't won by landslide but he won the simple majority instead. In Alabama, they are safe republican. You can see about political battle will be much stronger in Wisconsin.

What is the average teacher's salary in that particular state?

Probably not enough math and science teachers, especially highly qualified ones.

I would love for our teachers to get better pay and working conditions. Happy teachers make for happier kids.

Probably not enough math and science teachers, especially highly qualified ones.

I would love for our teachers to get better pay and working conditions. Happy teachers make for happier kids.

Yup, I agree with you.

The teachers got caught on camera getting fake doctors' notes. On top of lying, that would be fraud. Good role models for the children. Not.

Is the teachers strike really about schools, education, children or maintaining the power of the union?

This is what the NEA's former general counsel, Bob Chanin, said:

"And that brings me to my final, and most important point. Which is why, at least in my opinion, NEA and its affiliates are such effective advocates. Despite what some among us would like to believe, it is not because of our creative ideas. It is not because of the merit of our positions. It is not because we care about children. And it is not because we have a vision of a great public school for every child. NEA and its affiliates are effective advocates because we have power. And we have power because there are more than 3.2 million people who are willing to pay us hundreds of millions of dollars in dues each year because they believe that we are the unions that can most effectively represent them, the unions that can protect their rights and advance their interests as education employees.

This is not to say that the concern of NEA and its affiliates with closing achievement gaps, reducing dropout rates, improving teacher quality, and the like are unimportant or inappropriate. To the contrary, these are the goals that guide the work we do. But they need not and must not be achieved at the expense of due process, employee rights, and collective bargaining. That simply is too high a price to pay!

When all is said and done, NEA and its affiliates must never lose sight of the fact that they are unions, and what unions do first and foremost is represent their members."

Retiring General Counsel’s Shocking Admission: The NEA Is a Union! | Cato @ Liberty

Is the teachers strike really about schools, education, children or maintaining the power of the union?

This is what the NEA's former general counsel, Bob Chanin, said:

"And that brings me to my final, and most important point. Which is why, at least in my opinion, NEA and its affiliates are such effective advocates. Despite what some among us would like to believe, it is not because of our creative ideas. It is not because of the merit of our positions. It is not because we care about children. And it is not because we have a vision of a great public school for every child. NEA and its affiliates are effective advocates because we have power. And we have power because there are more than 3.2 million people who are willing to pay us hundreds of millions of dollars in dues each year because they believe that we are the unions that can most effectively represent them, the unions that can protect their rights and advance their interests as education employees.

This is not to say that the concern of NEA and its affiliates with closing achievement gaps, reducing dropout rates, improving teacher quality, and the like are unimportant or inappropriate. To the contrary, these are the goals that guide the work we do. But they need not and must not be achieved at the expense of due process, employee rights, and collective bargaining. That simply is too high a price to pay!

When all is said and done, NEA and its affiliates must never lose sight of the fact that they are unions, and what unions do first and foremost is represent their members."

Retiring General Counsel’s Shocking Admission: The NEA Is a Union! | Cato @ Liberty

Teachers are being forced to teach to pass tests. That is NOT creative teaching that many of us want to do. Enough is enough!

When there is educational reform, no one listens to the teachers. It's crazy.

The testing is out of hand. People don't realize how much time is spent on teaching to the test. The only thing that testing has done is make some testing companies profitable. NLCB and a Bush's testing company? Coinkydink?

Daily Kos: NCLB, Bush, and the Testing Industry

Back