Diagnosis

krazykatkitty

Reaction score
How old are you when you got diagnosis Deaf? :hmm:

I don't consider myself to be "big D" Deaf since I grew up with hearing most of my life. That being said, I became severely-profoundly deaf at age 24. My hearing loss was diagnosed at
age 3 and was mild at the time. From that point on, it progressed to severe-profound by age 24. Now that I have CIs, I am 100% deaf without them.

Total Shock

I was 22 at the time, and it was a total shock. Found out while trying to join the military. Since then my hearing has slow gotten worse with each hearing test.

Since I was 4 months old. My parents saw that I never responded to any sounds so they had me get an ABI which confirmed I was deaf. A month after being fitted with high power analogs, I had access to amplified sounds.

I become deaf at around 3 months old. Diagnosed as deaf at 9 months old. Got my high powered box hearing aids at 14 months old. I'v got a twin sister(hearing) so parents could notice the difference

Last edited:
Since I was 4 months old. My parents saw that I never responded to any sounds so they had me get an ABI which confirmed I was deaf. A month after being fitted with high power analogs, I had access to amplified sounds.

ABI? Are you sure you don't mean an ABR? <confused>

If i remember correctly Deafdude's 27 or thereabouts so that would be about right.

I was born profoundly deaf, mum knew from day one but had problem convincing the Doc's i was deaf... roll on 9 months i was offically diagnosed deaf, First phonak box at 2 years old or thereabouts. this was in the late 70's/early 80's

I was born profoundly Deaf. Very late Diagnosed as Deaf at 3 years old. Got my hearing aids at 3 years old. My parents and I went to 4 different doctors and one Audiologist to see if I'm Deaf and they couldn't get it which is silly. Finally I went up to Van Asch Deaf Education to see Audiologist and he said that I was profoundly Deaf. Late Implantation too.

I was 22 at the time, and it was a total shock. Found out while trying to join the military. Since then my hearing has slow gotten worse with each hearing test.

That's no good... :(
I hope that you have a Cochlear Implant or Hearing Aides then it will help you to hear again :)

I don't consider myself to be "big D" Deaf since I grew up with hearing most of my life. That being said, I became severely-profoundly deaf at age 24. My hearing loss was diagnosed at
age 3 and was mild at the time. From that point on, it progressed to severe-profound by age 24. Now that I have CIs, I am 100% deaf without them.

"Big D" normally in New Zealand people use the big D for Deaf but The word Deaf spelt with a capital D is a noun that denotes a culture and a community. The use of sign language as one’s first language is the main characteristic of people who identify with this culture and community.

With a small d, deaf, is an adjective which refers simply to hearing loss - e.g. deaf children means children with impaired hearing who may not yet have had contact with the Deaf community. which is found from NZSL Week

A Lots of people didnt aware about the "big D" in NZ :O I hope it something new and interesting for you :P

"Big D" normally in New Zealand people use the big D for Deaf but The word Deaf spelt with a capital D is a noun that denotes a culture and a community. The use of sign language as one’s first language is the main characteristic of people who identify with this culture and community.

With a small d, deaf, is an adjective which refers simply to hearing loss - e.g. deaf children means children with impaired hearing who may not yet have had contact with the Deaf community. which is found from NZSL Week

A Lots of people didnt aware about the "big D" in NZ :O I hope it something new and interesting for you :P

:ty: for that explanation. :)

Here in the U.S., Deaf also means someone who is a part of Deaf culture while deaf means someone who is not.

I've been a part of my Deaf and deafblind communities since 1995, but I still do not consider myself as Deaf since I grew up orally and could hear well most of my life. I also do not rely on tactile sign the way I did pre-CI.

I probably could be considered Deaf, but I just don't view myself as such for the reasons I've mentioned. :dunno:

What year did you recieve the ABI? Because ABI is kinda very new right now, it's only have just come out in maybe the last 5 years or so, maybe even less.

Or are you talking about ABR's?

ABI = Auditory Brainstem Implant

ABR= Auditory Brainstem Response

What year did you recieve the ABI? Because ABI is kinda very new right now, it's only have just come out in maybe the last 5 years or so, maybe even less.

Or are you talking about ABR's?

ABI = Auditory Brainstem Implant

ABR= Auditory Brainstem Response

I think he's referring to an ABR. If deafdude had an ABI, he wouldn't be able to use hearing aids.

I think he's referring to an ABR. If deafdude had an ABI, he wouldn't be able to use hearing aids.

That's what I thought.

And the ABI surgery is so much more complicated than the CI surgery, and with poorer results than the CI. I would never go for it in my current lifetime and even the next lifetime. If any surgeons has to touch my brain to do it, I would never go for it, while during the CI surgery your brain is never touched. :Ohno:

That's what I thought.

And the ABI surgery is so much more complicated than the CI surgery, and with poorer results than the CI. I would never go for it in my current lifetime and even the next lifetime. If any surgeons has to touch my brain to do it, I would never go for it, while during the CI surgery your brain is never touched. :Ohno:

Exactly. I wouldn't opt for an ABI either.

I love being able to hear, but if the only way I could do that was with an ABI, I'd say "thanks, but no thanks." :bye:

:ty: for that explanation. :)

Here in the U.S., Deaf also means someone who is a part of Deaf culture while deaf means someone who is not.

I've been a part of my Deaf and deafblind communities since 1995, but I still do not consider myself as Deaf since I grew up orally and could hear well most of my life. I also do not rely on tactile sign the way I did pre-CI.

I probably could be considered Deaf, but I just don't view myself as such for the reasons I've mentioned. :dunno:

Yeah I bet that in every countries have a different way and culture which is very interesting.. I will be going to 2009 Taipei Deaflympics and I will meet many Deaf people from aorund the world :)

Yeah I bet that in every countries have a different way and culture which is very interesting.. I will be going to 2009 Taipei Deaflympics and I will meet many Deaf people from aorund the world :)

That's awesome! :cool2: I hope you have a great time! :)

Back