How Do You Explain Sex to Your Kids?

G

Gemtun

I have two daughters aged 8 1/2 and 7 1/2. The past few weeks, they have been barging me with questions about sex.

They want to know how men's seed get into contact with women's eggs. That is where I am stuck at. How do you guys explain sex to kids appropriately at that age?

Im at a loss of words to tell them! I look everywhere for books for their ages but find nothing but books for teenagers.

Help! I am getting tired of them asking me nonstop LOL

Meg said:
I have two daughters aged 8 1/2 and 7 1/2. The past few weeks, they have been barging me with questions about sex.

They want to know how men's seed get into contact with women's eggs. That is where I am stuck at. How do you guys explain sex to kids appropriately at that age?

Im at a loss of words to tell them! I look everywhere for books for their ages but find nothing but books for teenagers.

Help! I am getting tired of them asking me nonstop LOL

Tell them the truth, no need to make up a fairy tale about it. As long you don't shun them from asking questions, they will depend on you when it come to sex questions needing to be answered.

That's what make you a good parent.

Hi Meg,

Good to see you posting here! :)

Good Question there Meg, hmmmm.....My three boys hasn't even start asking me those kind of questions yet, but when they do, hopefully I will be prepare for that time when it comes....

I do feel that at those ages ( up to 8 ) they wouldn't fully understand the scope of what ' sex ' is all about, but if children at this age is persistant with wanting to know, it may do some good to explain without going into explicit details....

I hope this is helpful and keep your daughters' curiousity at bay... :)

Its strange but my son never asked me anything about birds and bees!..so i approached him with a booklet on that when he was in 7th grade, he said while rolling his eyes, Mom, i already know about sex!..so i said you taking sex education at school, right? he said yeah and then from the guys too!
lol!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Apparently when I told them that their 9 year old cousin got her period last month, they became fascinated with periods and how women have babies. They understand what periods are for and that a male seed have to get into contact with the egg in order to make a baby but they want to know HOW that happens.

I am just not comfortable telling them about the penis inserting into vagina yet because I do not think it is appropriate for a 3rd grader and 1st grader to really know ALL of the facts.

Banjo, you are right. It is important not to shush their questions..I keep them coming to me with all types of questions and I try not to react. But about this question, I am not comfortable with revealing too much because I know that their father will kill me, him being a traditional Catholic and believe that children should not know anything about sex period.

I did not know anything about sex until I was like 17, even after I was doing it at 15 and I have swore that I would not be like my own mother who never told me anything about sex.

Yeah me too Meg, I didn't even know sex until I was about 18 I think... :Oops:

Meg, U came to the Right Place....

If you feel that You cannot Explain to them in a Proper Way. U could always get some Books.. I do know some Books that Helps You give your Children the Answers they are looking for...

There is a Book called.."It's So Amazing!" A Book About Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families...Robie H. Harris, Michael Emberley (Author)

Or You can Look for Another Book Called..."Everything You Never Wanted Your Kids to Know About Sex, but Were Afraid They'd Ask: The Secrets to Surviving Your Child's Sexual Development from Birth to the Teens"
by Justin Richardson (Author), Mark Schuster (Author)

Or You can Look Up another book called "But How'd I Get in There in the First Place? Talking to Your Young Child About Sex" Deborah M. Roffman (Author)

Hope this Helps Meg... :P

Cheri,

Many thanks! I will look up these books next time I am at the bookstore. :)

Tough being a parent, eh? Trying to do our best to guide these such innocent young minds in this crazy world is not easy.

M~

I remember, when my two boys were 7 and 6 years old. They asked me the questions, “Mom – Where did we come from you?” I was stunned and did not prepare to answer their questions. I explain them about the differences between boys and girls bodies in the book. They started to giggle. Saying, Mom you have the boobs. I told them that I do not have a penis because I am girl as woman. They were glared at me. I borrowed a book from the library, which is very helpful. I said, Daddy and Mommy love each other. Daddy’s tadpole race and catch Mommy’s eggs. Tadpole and Eggs make a baby inside Mommy’s stomach. I was simple to explain the children what the tadpole and egg to purpose to make a baby inside a mother tummy.

baby.gif
baby2.gif
mgcap.gif
mgpropeller.gif
beret.gif
mgbowtie.gif

Where Did I Come From, Mommy?

Number 1: Only women have babies, not men or children.
Number 2: The stork doesn’t bring babies.
Number 3: A baby grows from a tiny dot to full size.
Number 4: The baby grows inside the mother, but not in her stomach where
the food is. It grows in a special place made just for the baby.
Number 5: The baby comes out through a special opening.
Number 6: Everybody has, or had, both a mother and father.
Number 7: Boys and girls are different. You can tell them they are made
exactly the way they should be.

Questions about what the father does, about menstruation and intercourse, and other more involved subjects, generally come later.

Here is Rule #3: It is not wise to put a young child’s questions off with statements such as “I’m too busy”, “Wait until your father comes home”, or “You’re too young to ask about that.” Remember, it is best to answer with simple information given honestly and directly.

Children between the ages of two and six sometimes touch their sex parts. This is quite normal and natural. If they do it very often it may mean they are tense and worried. You can seek help in finding and removing the cause. Usually it is because they have to go to the bathroom. Toys, games, play and talking to the child are healthy substitutes. It is wrong to tell him that you won’t love him any more, or to slap or tie his hands. The only real harm that occurs is if you make the young child feel guilty, ashamed or frightened when he is doing what comes naturally to him.

Rule #4: If your youngster masturbates occasionally, but has many interests and seems happy, try to involve him in something else but don’t make a big fuss over it.

Getting a child off to a healthy start in his attitude toward sex may be difficult for parents who themselves think there is something shameful about it. They may not know or be afraid to use the correct words to describe parts of the body or how they work. Lastly they may see sex as something completely separate from love and a warm family feeling.

The young child is usually satisfied with a few facts told to him in simple words and without embarrassment by parents who love him.

Especially, teenagers are more burdened on me because their bodies grow hormones due to development men. The physical changes come emotional changes. It is very difficult on me because of no father in his life. They do share with other of this friends and Health Education class to watch the movie. Bodies grow hairy and skin breakout pimples and oily skin. Sweat glands become more active and make sweat which smells different from the sweat children's bodies make. This can mean "body odor". I encourage them to shower daily to help to reduce the smell to use a deodorant.

Important both of you and the children have an open communication. They will become more comfortable to discuss with you when they become older. My two sons always talked to me anything when something bother them. I always am there for them.

*taking notes from Sabrina* I need some advices too.... Kyler (my son) is almost 2 and I will have to remember the notes you gave, and when Kyler is older and asking me the same question, Where do I come from you? :ugh: :roll:

CrazyRedHeadWV said:
*taking notes from Sabrina* I need some advices too.... Kyler (my son) is almost 2 and I will have to remember the notes you gave, and when Kyler is older and asking me the same question, Where do I come from you? :ugh: :roll:

Tell him, he was born from your Ear. That is why, you are Deaf. ;)

Meg,

It's always best to check out the bookstore but even better to sit them down and explain it to them in the mildest way possible. Make sure they know that they can talk to you about anything, sex included...

Most kids find out some stuff in school or through friends...but we can only hope it's not when they're so young.

Hmm...lotta good replies to this thread...LOL. But hey, be honest with your kids.

I don't know if this helps or not, but I was given a booklet to read, and told that if I had any questions, I could ask Mom. lol I am not a parent (thank GOODNESS), but I agree with just about everyone here... No matter how you go about it, if you are just honest and upfront with your children, you should do OK. One thing you do not want to do is create an atmosphere where they feel like they can't come to you. That is NOT what you want, because, like someone already said...Kids will learn this information one way or another, and it's BEST if it comes from YOU! Especially, at this age...

This is an interesting discussion. To be honest with you, I have never thought that it could have happened to me. I better be prepared to answer when my boys are ready and asking me these sex questions. I am learning here. Thanks for this thread! :thumb:

Ah, Never I forget that...
My eldest son when he was young, and asked me where I born from you? I *nodded* yes, but I was addy joking my son.. Err.. I just bought you coming from Wal-Mart. He was screaming Nooooooooooooo! I was cried laughed at my son.. how his reacts was so funny face expression looks.. say nooooooooooooo. afterall, I explained him.. er um.... Mommy and Daddy was in love and got you...wonderful boy.. He say oh, uh okay.. few years later, When He was about 3 or 4 yrs old and caught us in our bed while making love.. We suddenly stopped making a love and staring my son why r u here? He said, "Now, I know you're making love for another baby again!". He left from our room.. I was turned in embrasement and red face.. Doesn't want to making love with my hubby.. Really big embrassement!!!

Sabrina said:
I said, Daddy and Mommy love each other. Daddy’s tadpole race and catch Mommy’s eggs. Tadpole and Eggs make a baby inside Mommy’s stomach. I was simple to explain the children what the tadpole and egg to purpose to make a baby inside a mother tummy.

My mother was a nurse and told me this story, only she drew a diagram :eek2: tadpoles and all OMG. But least i understand, right?? :sure:

Well what are the social services like around your area? HOLY shit....I didn't even know about oral sex until I was a teenager! The fact that a little girl knows about that stuff......UGH!!!
BTW, my orgional intention in posting to this thread was to encourage parents to be very healthy and positive about sex and relationships.....tell them that sex is an expression of love between two consenting adults.

Put "bedroom" in a top hat and put two big bunnies in it and then pull out 6 small bunnies in front of the kids.

However my 4th grade teacher had a better way of telling me about sex education than this.

Richard

Back